CHICKS EYES WON'T OPEN NEED ADIVCE

RuralVirginia

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 9, 2012
We ordered 4 hens from a hatchery (1 Delaware, 1 Rhode Island Red, 1 Speckled Sussex, and 1 Golden-Laced Wyandotte) and they just came at 9:30am this morning after being shipped 3 days ago. We have never had a problem with this hatchery before, but this time when I opened the box the Golden Laced Wyandotte chick was dead. The Speckled Sussex and Delaware are very healthy and have been eating and drinking and running around, they seem very alert. The Rhode Island Red on the other hand is just curled up in the corner and has not started eating or drinking even though I have been trying to tempt to with food and water. I noticed open closer inspection that both of its eyes are firmly shut. Nothing looks wrong, they looked fully developed, no goo or pus, it just can't of hasn't opened them. WHAT SHOULD I DO??!?!? I'd hate to lose another chick! Should I try to open the eyes physically, should I get an eye dropper and put water on the eyes, should I keep it from the other chicks and try and feed it, or should I just wait it out and see if they open on their own (hopefully they will, but it seems doubtful). I've already contacted the hatchery and they were very apologetic and told me to call back Friday and they would send replacement chicks for any that were dead or dying. Any and all advice would be much appreciated!

I'd gently wipe her eyes with a warm washcloth.
hugs.gif
Good luck!

I also received my 4 chicks today. GLW & RIR were dead & the black Australorp is barely hanging on. I've been giving her drops of brooder temp electrolyte water from a 1 mil syrenge. I'm wondering how often I should do this? Has ur chick taken any water drops?:(

Back
Top Bottom