chicks eyes

Trickpony

Hatching
12 Years
Feb 9, 2007
I just got 2 baby chicks and noticed in one of the they eyes are not open all the way is this normal? they are very very young?

my chick had a problem with her eye were mucus was all over her nose and eyes...eventually it made it almost imposible to open it....is there any mucus..runny nose or anything??

no there is no discharge.I have only had her 2 days and have only had chickens when i was a kid and now I have 2 other 6 month old chickens so this is new to me.

You might take a good look at the eye itself to check for swelling, damage, tearing, etc. If you don't find anything put a drop of saline solution in it to flush it out. Most importantly, I think, would be to add vitamins and electrolytes to their water. There is also a vitamin just for birds I have never tried but others think is better. I think it's called Avian 2000? You'll have to check with your pet stores on this one. I hope your baby is better soon!

Thank you for the information.Are the electrolites the same for chickens as horses?I have some of those.I just called the feed store where I got them he tolld me they are 4 days old and sometimes one of the eyes are open and they might open on there own.Im not sure how much this kid knows thou.I will make a trip to the store and get some vitimins

If there didn't seem to be anything obviously wrong other than the eye fused shut then it sounds like it could have been genetic, the chicks eyes are fused when in the egg and there are genes that control cell death to allow them to open (in a similar way to how human fingers form from 'flippers' in the foetus) if those genes were abnormal there is a good chance other genes were too. Genetic problems can cause a whole range of issues that you would not know from looking at it.

Now you have ony one chick it will need much more attention, you could try introducing her (slowly) to your other chickens but be vigilant as older chickens can get quite agressive to new youngsters.

Back
Top Bottom