Chicks freak out when moving back to brooder from coop at night!

MrsMommaB

In the Brooder
Apr 17, 2016
Colorado
Hello!
My hens (6 of them) are just shy of 6 weeks I think. One is a late bloomer and not fully feathered. She was sick right off the bat. Anyways she's doing better now but much smaller and like I said, feathers not all there.

During the days right now in western Colorado, it's been between 55-75 mid day. I've been putting them in their coop around 11 or 12 and bringing them back to the brooder in the garage about 8 or 9 at night because it's still high 30's to mid 40's at night. I do NOT use the heat lamp in the garage as it stays around 65 during the night in there and they do good with that. The light seems to be too hot.
Anywho, tonight I brought them back into the brooder and they freaked out!!!! It was not dark in there but they were squealing and trying to fly out!!! I have a lid on it with chicken wire to keep them from escaping but I was so worried they'd hurt themselves. My chicken friend suggested to turn off lights and see if they did better. They did start to settle thank goodness!!
Is it too cold to leave them in their coop without a lamp right now??
The inside of their coop (the closed part) isn't big enough to have the heat lamp in it without it being a fire hazard I don't think. So I'm not comfortable with having it in there. Sorry for the lengthy post....

Suggestions??

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
I think it may be a bit cold for the bald one outside overnight at this point. If I were you, I'd can keep them inside, minus the heat lamp, for a few more nights and see if the temperatures rise some and the little one starts catching up.

That should be fine for them, yes. When you leave them in the evening, they're probably going to yell the first night, because it's all new and strange. But watch them (don't let them see you) and see what they do. If they huddle together for warmth, bring them in rather. If they look comfortable, leave them out. Their behaviour will guide you there.

I'd try to keep them in the brooder more - to give the little one time to catch up and feather out. If you put them out and she has to stay in (due to cool temps) she would have to be integrated back into the flock and it could go badly.

Back
Top Bottom