Chicks hatching early Day 19 (buff Orpington chicks, Rhode Island Red mama)

chalbond

In the Brooder
May 1, 2023
Hello! This is my first experience with a Broody Hen. She’s a Rhode Island Red and in her own “nursery” area attached to the main run. I put the fertilized buff Orpington eggs under her on July 2 morning, so today- July 21- would be 19 days. We had an intense storm last night with tons of lighting and rain so I went out this morning to check her nursery area and I heard a chick. On day 19. It seems fine and is staying under her wings from what I can tell. I’m just concerned about it being 2 days early. Wondering if the lighting and storms could have “shocked” it into hatching early? If the others take the full 21 days I’m concerned how all will work out with this one, and maybe more to come, hatching “early.” My philosophy has been to be as hands off as possible and let the mama do her job and nature take its course, so I’m hoping everything works out.

Any experience with this? Thoughts? Advice?

In my experiance, hatchlings on day 19 is the norm.
Broody or incubator.
Flock health and vitality seem to influence these early hatch rates.
As long as all the eggs were started at the same time, and this is not a staggered batch, I would leave the eggs with broody until day 23 or more likely broody mom has abandoned remaining eggs to get existing chicks out to eat and drink.
Get your chick starter and safe chick waterer in place now so its avaliable.
Congratulations!

In my experiance, hatchlings on day 19 is the norm.
Broody or incubator.
Flock health and vitality seem to influence these early hatch rates.
As long as all the eggs were started at the same time, and this is not a staggered batch, I would leave the eggs with broody until day 23 or more likely broody mom has abandoned remaining eggs to get existing chicks out to eat and drink.
Get your chick starter and safe chick waterer in place now so its avaliable.
Congratulations!
Yeah, I agree.
Sometimes they hatch early. A lot of mine usually hatch a day or two early.
Congratulations! 🎉🥳

I've had the same experience as those above, as far as ocassional chicks that hatched on day 19, and many others that hatched on day 20. Congratulations on your first broody-hatched chick; you will love watching mom raise her babies!

Well this morning we checked and there are 2 healthy chicks and 2 dead smothered? I saw the deceased ones when she got up to eat and drink. Also saw one starting to hatch. The whole time I was doing chicken chores she was eating and drinking and had found a cozy spot to snuggle up with the 2 chicks.

Does this mean she has abandoned the nest? Like I said, there’s one beginning to hatch and 4 more eggs. It’s only day 20 so it’s quite possible more would be viable and hatch. I hate there’s nothing we can do for the one trying to hatch.

We don’t have an incubator. We weren’t planning or desiring to hatch chicks, but when she was so broody we decided to let her do her thing and see what happened and hope for the best, not knowing how she would do. She sat amazingly, but I wouldn’t say she’s doing well now if she abandons eggs on day 20 (she did sit for a little over a week before fertilized eggs were put under her) and squashed two.

So can I assume she won’t go back to laying on remaining eggs?

I'm sorry about the 2 smothered chicks; 2 of my broodies have done that more than once to newly-hatched, even though both are otherwise excellent mothers.

Did you put her back into the nestbox? If not, do so asap and see if she stays put.

Well she’s back on the nest after about 30 minutes so I guess I freaked out too soon. Still so upsetting about 2 that got smothered. Any way to help others not face the same fate?

Well this morning we checked and there are 2 healthy chicks and 2 dead smothered? I saw the deceased ones when she got up to eat and drink. Also saw one starting to hatch. The whole time I was doing chicken chores she was eating and drinking and had found a cozy spot to snuggle up with the 2 chicks.

Does this mean she has abandoned the nest? Like I said, there’s one beginning to hatch and 4 more eggs. It’s only day 20 so it’s quite possible more would be viable and hatch. I hate there’s nothing we can do for the one trying to hatch.

We don’t have an incubator. We weren’t planning or desiring to hatch chicks, but when she was so broody we decided to let her do her thing and see what happened and hope for the best, not knowing how she would do. She sat amazingly, but I wouldn’t say she’s doing well now if she abandons eggs on day 20 (she did sit for a little over a week before fertilized eggs were put under her) and squashed two.

So can I assume she won’t go back to laying on remaining eggs?
Did she just move to another spot? Is she mean or does she run away when you approach her? Can you try moving her back or putting the eggs under her where she is now? I haven't ever had any of my broody hens leave the nest so I'm probably not going to be of much help😓.

Back
Top Bottom