Chicks in nesting box, help please.

MaryAnnInc

In the Brooder
Jul 12, 2015
I put some large eggs under a broody bantam. Yesterday they were pipping and had strong peeps. This morning I went out and found them squashed and dead. They were big, strong and healthy. Should I have removed mom and eggs? I am sick about it.

Sorry about the outcome. There are too many unknown variables to be able to answer constructively. It appears, from your post, that she incubated and hatched in the main coop, with the rest of the flock.

What is her rank within the flock?
Did other flock members lay eggs in her nest, whilst she was sitting?
Has she hatched successfully before?
Have you hatched before? If so, and assuming it went well, how does this time differ?

I'm sure others will add to those questions.

It can be quite difficult to give advice as we all have different set-ups, husbandry practices, flock dynamics etc etc.

She is middle of the red in pecking order. She does let others lay in her nest while setting. I have tried to relocate her with her eggs, but she abandons them. I wish I would have taken the eggs yesterday and let them hatch inside.

Some of the mistakes we make with our chickens are sometimes wrenching. We learn something new each time these things happen, though. You will try this again sometime, and the outcome will be much better. Try to think ahead and plan how you will do it differently, and try to let this sad event slip into the past where it belongs.

Broodies are a fickle bunch. They don't always choose the most convenient nest. All you can do is try to encourage them to use a nest in a safe place so the others don't try to lay on top the incubating eggs. This has also happened to me and the fertilized eggs were destroyed.

Now I try to do everything I can from the outset to keep the broody and her eggs segregated from the regular layers. After the eggs hatch, then it's a rather simple matter to keep the chicks safe until they're strong enough to integrate into the flock.

There is so much about chicken raising that sometimes makes the learning curve seem so steep and long. But we hang in there and we learn.

Back
Top Bottom