Chicks keep dying of coccidiosis despite treatment

MissLavender

Songster
5 Years
Sep 21, 2018
Clarkdale, Arizona
Bloody poops, ruffled feathers, lethargic, the whole gamut. The entire hatch of 6 week old chicks seems to have it. I’m losing them at the rate of 1-2 per day. I started treating with Corid powder 3 days ago, and if anything they look WORSE. I’m doing everything I can: bleaching their enclosure, feeder and waterer every single day, changing the water if it gets dirty throughout the day, etc., etc. I am at a loss. Any other suggestions BESIDES “Vet!!!” are welcome. I don’t have the funds.

I'm not for certain that this will work, but it will keep your other healthy birds healthy.
https://www.naturessunshine.com/product/silver-shield-w-aqua-sol-20-ppm/

It's a must have for me as long as I have chickens! I put it in their water about once a week. It's a miracle worker in my opinion! I had meat birds that were dying at the rate of 3-4 a day. If I could give them this stuff before they started seizing, then it would save them. I think it may have been cocci that they had.

Corid powder dosage is 1.5 tsp per gallon of water for 5-7 days. For extra drench mix 1.5 tsp in 2 tsp of water, and give each bird 0.1 ml per pound once or twice a day. Make sure the birds are drinking the treated water, and clean up any poops. Keeping their bedding dry, stirred, and adding fresh pine shavings as needed helps. Warm weather plus wet or damp conditions will increase chances of coccidiosis. If the Corid does not seem to be helping with them getting enough, then contact your vet for a sulfa antibiotic (SMZ TMP or Albon.)

Back
Top Bottom