Chicks not under brooder/multiple heat source

Chelloeeo

In the Brooder
Mar 12, 2023
I currently have about 16 barred rock chicks about 5 days old, I got them in the mail. Last time we had chicks we just used a heat plate because I read the heat lamps are dangerous. Then I had read that mail order chicks are different and need a heat lamp to be kept at a constant 95-100 deg for at least the first 2 weeks, so I bought a big heat lamp, but still didn’t trust it so I am currently using our a smaller heat lamp designed for reptile tanks in and our brooder plate. We are housing them in our basement bathroom because it is still quite cold here where we live. My concern is that at night they don’t all sleep under the brooder, some of them do, but some of them don’t. Should I be concerned. The thermometer in the brooder outside the heat plate reads about 77 deg. The heat plate appears high enough. Could they possibly be too hot under the brooder but too cold under the heat lamp? Or could they be too cold under the heat plate but not actually warm enough outside? They seem comfortable just snoozing away and pleasantly peep and play during the day.

Attachments

• 3F2A66D0-9EA6-4725-91CC-4396E73B71C5.jpeg
    3F2A66D0-9EA6-4725-91CC-4396E73B71C5.jpeg
    488.8 KB · Views: 66
I use heat lamps as well. I make sure it is secure multiple ways. Chained and use the clip. Keep it free of dust.
Use a heat guard on the front of the lamp. Mine came with one.
Mine are content at 80 degrees they sleep just outside the light area. Now that it is 2 weeks 60 is good for mine. If they peep loudly it means they are in distress

Back
Top Bottom