Chicks of different ages in brooder?

SusiesPeeps

Songster
Jun 9, 2020
I ordered 4 chicks from our local feed store. I found out today that 2 of them would have to come early in mid-March, while the other 2 will arrive April 6. I know it takes time for pullets to be introduced to our other 4 full-grown hens, but when we get the 2 chicks in April, can they be placed in the same brooder as the 2 that will be almost a month old by then? How do I do this? I haven't seen anything about how to manage this situation. Thank you!

Last edited:
I would probably divide the brooder with something like wire mesh for the first few days, with the younger chicks on one side and the older ones on the other side.

After a few days, the younger ones should be mostly over the stress of being shipped, and be comfortable in the space, and be able to run quickly without tripping. The older chicks will also be used to seeing them by then.

At that point, remove the divider and see how it goes. There is a good chance they will be able to live together from then on.

I would probably divide the brooder with something like wire mesh for the first few days, with the younger chicks on one side and the older ones on the other side.

After a few days, the younger ones should be mostly over the stress of being shipped, and be comfortable in the space, and be able to run quickly without tripping. The older chicks will also be used to seeing them by then.

At that point, remove the divider and see how it goes. There is a good chance they will be able to live together from then on.
Thank you for responding! That makes sense to me.

Back
Top Bottom