Chicks outside!! *Update first morning*

colowyo0809

Songster
9 Years
Apr 27, 2010
Dacono, CO
I am not going to get a wink of sleep tonight, which will be unfortunate because I spent all day getting their home ready and I am bloody exhausted! The 11 babies are outside in their new home and I fully expect rats and racoons and coyotes and snakes and rabbits to kill and eat them tonight!!
barnie.gif
barnie.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
but, for better or worse those five week olds are out of our bedroom and in the great outdoors! Will post pics as soon as I can think beyond the sheer worry!
Matthew Ryan

ETA: They are all still alive!! And hungry and thirsty!! Yay, the first night was ok! And I only woke up like four or five times!! I don't know how I'm going to deal with the rest of this week if those chicks ship out today like they are supposed to! having 30 some odd chicks of various ages all out in the coop will be a nightmare for me! How do people do this year after year?
th.gif
th.gif
hide.gif
hide.gif
hu.gif
hu.gif

Last edited:
I totally feel your fear ... our six week old chicks (6 of em) slept out in the coop for the first time last night ... I confess I checked in on them at 1:15 am to find they're safe n sound ... I'm less anxious tonite and will probably sleep like a baby since I didn't get much sleep last night!!! Pat yourself on the back for all that you do for your chicks --- they will be fine
thumbsup.gif

we went to the store for ice cream and came back to find them all huddled in a corner. So now we have the lamp rigged to hang in a corner. And now on top of anything else i'm worried about fire!!
barnie.gif
he.gif
th.gif
th.gif

JROOSTERToday 7:17 pmI am sorry but im 100% sure the Rabbits will not bother your chicks!!

Ha! Rabbits are evil!! You don't know what they plan in their Rabbit Councils deep underground!! They are evil I tell you EVIL!!!!!
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Matthew Ryan​

My 5 are 31 days old today. I've had them out in the coop/run 4 x's now. Last night I let them stay in the coop. I bought a 40 watt heat emitter and put it on a timer to come on once an hour since the temp was supposed to drop into the 60's. I was worried about fire too so turned the emitter off. (It's a ceramic disc used for reptile tanks). I was out there 3 x's checking on things and Pricilla, General, Veruka, Blackberry and Sonic were all huddled and seemingly very comfortable. They spent the day outdoors today as well but we're expecting thunderstorms and I just couldn't leave them out to potentially get soaked..soooo back to the porch and brooder. No heat lamp though. They're pretty well feathered out. I think a couple more days on good food can't hurt them. They seem very active and happy. We gave them an ear of corn today and as described by someone else they really went at it after about an hour of wondering what the heck it was. I wish we'd just have some normal weather around here so they can make their final jump to the coop/run without me worrying about their well being. They've been a great joy to watch grow so far.

I just put my babies in the outside coop, and my teens moved into a fenced off area in the big chickens coop. I'll be up all night with you. Get your flashlight ready cause you we want it.

The wild rabbits in our yard frequently hang out near the chicken run. A couple of days ago the chickens were free ranging. One of the wild rabbits came close to the chickens and looked like it was trying to play. When several of the chickens started chasing it the rabbit decided to quickly ran off. I suspect a group of a few chickens could kill a rabbit. We have several wild little cotton tail rabbits running around. We see them playing often. They are used to us and we can walk up to about 10' from them before they run away.

Quote:
Yes, and it was freaky!! I was just getting ready to go to bed and happened to look outside at the coop and thought I saw the lamp moving and flames!! I told my partner "THE COOP IS ON FIRE!!" put on my shorts and dashed outside and then spent a couple minutes trying to find the fire!!
lau.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
gig.gif
he.gif
I think I woke up four or five times last night to do a visual from the bedroom that nothing was visibly wrong!
barnie.gif
barnie.gif
th.gif
. Slept until like 8:30 this morning, which is odd for me. Gah I'm tired!

Wow which ones have a harder time adjusting: chickens or human? Human wins!
lau.gif

Just wait til you have to go on vacation and you leave the chickens in the care of your teenage neighbor!

Back
Top Bottom