Chicks pecking each other, bleeding

ottopt

In the Brooder
Apr 18, 2022
I just recently got my first chickens, and they are about 4 weeks old. I had 15, but today I gave 5 of them away to someone, and now two of my chickens have started aggressively pecking each other. They never had aggresive behavior to each other until today. I would assume this is their “pecking order,” but their faces are red and bloody. Nothing online has mentioned baby chicks bleeding from a pecking order, and I’m really worried that they will end up killing one or the other. What should I do???

Photos of your set up? Could be boredom, too little space, or they're just jerks.

Give this article a read as well, for some ideas: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aggressive-baby-chicks-and-how-to-stop-the-behavior.72029/
0397C69F-6863-4728-A370-694F024099B5.jpeg

Its not huge, the house itself is 5’x3’. I’m only keeping the chickens for about 6 weeks and then I’m giving them all away.

Its not huge, the house itself is 5’x3’. I’m only keeping the chickens for about 6 weeks and then I’m giving them all away.
Wow that's a nice space for chicks, do they have access to the mini run area all day? If you have some junk you can toss in the run, it may help a little here, to give them stuff to do and to serve as hiding spots for the pecked chicks.

Back
Top Bottom