Chicks playing with the nipple waterer.

tracecom

Songster
10 Years
Jan 16, 2010
I built a nipple waterer from a five gallon bucket. My chicks love it; in fact, they love it too much. They keep the bedding wet in a large circle around the bucket. When one goes under the bucket, it pecks and pecks...far too much for drinking. I think they are playing in the water. Has anyone else had this situation, and what did you do?

Well, that's weird! I think you should raise the bucket up so they have to "reach" to get to the nipples somewhat. As they grow you will need to continue to raise it some...

I suppose that you are using the vertical nipples? If so… yes it can and apparently at your place does happen. I would consider switching to horizontal nipples. They are spring loaded, so as they will not 'leak' if bumped like the non spring loaded vertical ones.

They are a bit more to purchase, but I have found them to be worth the price of admission. A clear improvement over the vertical ones at my place. I believe the pecking motion to be more natural for the birds and there is a small cup to catch/hold a drop or two if bumped by accident. Installation is much the same, only they go on the side of the bucket/container and not on the bottom.

Best to you and your birds, wet has no place in a well run coop,

RJ

I suppose that you are using the vertical nipples? If so… yes it can and apparently at your place does happen. I would consider switching to horizontal nipples. They are spring loaded, so as they will not 'leak' if bumped like the non spring loaded vertical ones.

They are a bit more to purchase, but I have found them to be worth the price of admission. A clear improvement over the vertical ones at my place. I believe the pecking motion to be more natural for the birds and there is a small cup to catch/hold a drop or two if bumped by accident. Installation is much the same, only they go on the side of the bucket/container and not on the bottom.

Best to you and your birds, wet has no place in a well run coop,

RJ
Totally agree @RJSorensen !! Before I switched to the water nipple system I did a lot of research/reading, etc. and decided the horizontal water nipples was the way to go, especially in my situation with severe freezing in the winter months. I have never ever had a leaking problem like the OP whatsoever. And in the winter months I'll drop a small stock tank heater (500W..anything bigger it will melt the bucket) and my chickens will be happy campers and I will too!
wee.gif

I got back to the coop today, and it was a mess. So much water splashed around that 2/3 of the floor was wet. The pine shavings, water, and poop was a big stinky mess. I cleaned it all out, and put a large metal pan under the water bucket. That should catch 90% of the water, and eliminate the problem. If not, I'll switch to horizontal nipples.

Have you raised the bucket? They are supposed to extend their necks up and forward to actuate the mechanism. Maybe it's too low and they are not able to drink it properly as it comes out.

Yes, I am raising the bucket, but the chicks are growing fast. I have placed a catch pan under the water bucket, and that is catching essentially all the dribbles, so the bedding is not getting wet. The chicks aren't too happy about having to step into the pan to drink, but they are getting the hang of it. Next chance I get, I will raise it some more so that they have to get directly under it to drink. Thanks.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom