chicks smothering one another

featherfriendlyinIowa52

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 15, 2011
NW Iowa
I found a dead chick the other morning (almost 5 week old Welsummer) and didn't know why it died until today. We just moved our chicks from the brooder to the outside coop yesterday. They finally all came out into the run late today but only 3 Anconas found their way back into the coop at dusk. The others (about 35 chicks of different breeds) had all bunched up in one corner of the run. I was in a near panic as it was obvious there were chicks piled on top of chicks so I banged against the enclosure and yelled my head off until they broke up. Sure enough, one Welsummer was laying on the ground in the same position I'd found the dead chick a few days ago. He was still breathing and finally shook it off and got up but I think a few more minutes and he'd been gone. My husband crawled into the run and handed all the chicks either out to me to put in the coop or put them thru their door himself. Now I have one more stupid chicken thing to worry about.

No. They weren't cold. They're 5 weeks old and were in a warm basement. The huddling tonight was caused from night terrors or something. Too many toads and tree frogs making sounds and they'd never been outside before yesterday. The weather was warm & humid today and until nightfall they were fine. I just don't think they knew what to do at bedtime. My Anconas were the first ones out of the coop (I have 6) and 3 went in by themselves at dusk. I think the others just need to adjust to the sudden change, or maybe I need to buy them a sleep number bed.

Hi FeatherfriendlyinIowa,,

Have they been under lights before the move outdoors? Some birds will go into a panic when the lights go out, if they haven't been used to darkness in the past.
It's best to wean them to tolerate darkness, e.g. dim lighting at night time until they make the transition outdoors.
Just a thought, it may be the frog noises as you say.

If it was me I'd also move them gently one by one rather than create more panic trying to unpile them -- they sound like flighty birds, but even flighty birds eventually become tame if you keep treating them calmly (not saying this was why they piled up; it obviously wasn't).
smile.png

Best of luck with it all,
Erica

Thanks for the advise. I'd stolen their brooder light a week ago as needed it for new hatch. The only light they had at night was the brooder light several feet away from their area. They still have the neighbor's floodlight that lights up the lane close by. Last night was better. Only 10 or so birds were still outside after dark. I was probably quite a sight lining the run with cardboard, crawling thru the 24 x 20 door (I'm 60 and 50 lbs overweight), and putting each bird (still piled in the corner by the coop wall but at least the numbers were down so no more crowding). They were all sleeping this time so no panic going on. If it wasn't for racoons, I'd probably have left them but some were sleeping against the fence. Hopefully tonight they'll all have wised up. Many are already roosting inside the coop so things are looking up.

It takes them awhile to learn to go back into the coop themselves. I have a fairly large run and last year I spent about an hour chasing chicks to get them into the coop for the night for about a week!! :rolleyes: I was so happy when they learned what they had to do!!!

HAHAHA! the things we do for our chickens!!!
I am also your size and i can just picture me doing that. I am building my own tractor coop and althought the wire is 2 ft wide I decided to make the run 4 ' tall at the last minute just so i dont have to get in your position nice healthy woman crawling on her bad knees to save rhe chickensIm 67)
More wire and wood but will save me in the end I am SURE.
Good luck on getting them i n the coop for the night.Sounds like its working out.

I read somewhere on this site that when you move chicks from their brooder out to their coop, that you were supposed to leave them shut in the coop for a week and that was how they learned to go back in at night. Somehow they then associated the coop with security, or home or something?? Seemed harsh when I read it - but is there something to that? - I sure don't want to be chasing chicks into the coop at night!

Back
Top Bottom