chicks starting to hatch, coming out all crusty!?

Great info thanks! I have a chick that got in his water then in his food and I think the toothbrush method will work great on his tiny soft feathers!

When you say crusty you mean like slime & goo had dried on them? If so, that indicates excessive humidity on days 1-18.
Regardless of what the incubator's instructions say, I don't use any water on days 1-18. My meter says the humidity is 20-25%, but I can't attest to it's accuracy. It really doesn't matter and is of little importance to me.
What is important to me is that when I lock down on day 18 I fill all the troughs with water. My meter shows 60-75% at that time, and again I can't say it's accurate; as long as it's dry on days 1-18 and full of water on days 18-21 that's all the effort & worry I expend on it. My chicks pip & zip very quick and are hatched clean though it does take them several hours to dry & fluff up.
That's the way I do it. Your results may vary. Hope that helps some.

When you say crusty you mean like slime & goo had dried on them? If so, that indicates excessive humidity on days 1-18.
Regardless of what the incubator's instructions say, I don't use any water on days 1-18. My meter says the humidity is 20-25%, but I can't attest to it's accuracy. It really doesn't matter and is of little importance to me.
What is important to me is that when I lock down on day 18 I fill all the troughs with water. My meter shows 60-75% at that time, and again I can't say it's accurate; as long as it's dry on days 1-18 and full of water on days 18-21 that's all the effort & worry I expend on it. My chicks pip & zip very quick and are hatched clean though it does take them several hours to dry & fluff up.
That's the way I do it. Your results may vary. Hope that helps some.
Well i did the dry incubation method, so my humidity was like 25 from 1-18, then day 18 i put it do 65%

I'm no expert but I always went dry to lockdown, then filled all the water cells. This is the first winter I've incubated and the first hatch hovered around 25% till lockdown and I lost nearly half to shrink wrap and the ones that made it out were covered in gunk. The last hatch I did, I kept the humidity around 40-47% and when it dropped into the 30's I refilled 1 cell. I had a 79% hatch rate and the only gunky ones where the last to hatch and I had opened the box several times after they'd pipped...I know, shame on me. With that, I have to say it's gotta be your humidity. There's not enough moisture between the chick and the membrane for it to slide off them when they hatch.

UncleJohn it sounds like you're doing everything right.
The only time I ever had a crusty chick was when a late hatcher got stuck in the shell and couldn't zip. I had to help him and when he emerged he was covered in juck and had a rotten egg & rotten poop smell as well as curled toes. He stayed crusty & crunchy and stank like high hell for about a week.
Sorry I no useful info to offer.

UncleJohn it sounds like you're doing everything right.
The only time I ever had a crusty chick was when a late hatcher got stuck in the shell and couldn't zip. I had to help him and when he emerged he was covered in juck and had a rotten egg & rotten poop smell as well as curled toes. He stayed crusty & crunchy and stank like high hell for about a week.
Sorry I no useful info to offer.
Thanks, i just cant figure it out! i've searched online. after a day or two all the chicks were nice and fluffed up, i guess they groom themselves and what not

Back
Top Bottom