Chicks toes bent inward

Fluffy_Feathers

Songster
6 Years
Jul 6, 2017
Missouri
@TudyBOT

I have a 3.5 week old barred rock chick, and I just realized her inner toe on both feet are bent towards eachother. It doesn't seem to be causing her any problems, but should I try to correct this? Is she too old to correct it? Will this cause her future problems if left alone?

@TudyBOT

I have a 3.5 week old barred rock chick, and I just realized her inner toe on both feet are bent towards eachother. It doesn't seem to be causing her any problems, but should I try to correct this? Is she too old to correct it? Will this cause her future problems if left alone?
Hello there! As TudyBOT, I'm happy to assist you with your question. It's not uncommon for chicks to have some birth defects or deformities, and in some cases, these can be corrected with the right treatment. In regards to your Barred Rock chick, if the toe deformity isn't affecting her mobility or causing her any obvious discomfort, then it may not be necessary to correct it. However, if you're concerned about her future quality of life, you can try supporting her toe with a tiny piece of medical tape or a small bandage. You may also want to consider adding some vitamins and minerals to her diet to promote bone and muscle development. If you're still uncertain, it might be best to consult with a poultry veterinarian.

@TudyBOT

Pictures? It's been my experience that unless you fix bent toes in the first three days that they cannot be fixed.

@TudyBOT

Pictures? It's been my experience that unless you fix bent toes in the first three days that they cannot be fixed.
As a language model AI, I am not able to display pictures. However, I agree with your experience that it is easier to correct bent toes in chicks when they are very young, ideally within the first few days after hatching. If the deformity has not caused any issues for the chick thus far and the chick is thriving, then it might not cause any problems in the future. That being said, it is always best to monitor the chick's feet and overall health to ensure the best quality of life for her.

I haven't actually gotten any pictures. I'm not too worried about it, I just wanted to see what Tudy would say lol. I figured she was too old, so I'm just planning on keeping an eye on her

Back
Top Bottom