chicks what do i need to know at 6 weeks

chickypets

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 24, 2011
Hi
I am new to this. Got some fertile eggs for my broody hen and now have two lovely chicks but I cant find info anywhere on when to start worming them etc. I have just changed them to pullet growth food - but thats all I have done. Is there any medicating things I should know?? Hopefully I haven't missed the time frame for anything.

thanks

for now, just let them grow and enjoy the experience of life. I do not know the exact age at which to start worming them, but any wormer you get from the feed store I would expect to have that info printed on the packadge...wait, my bottle of wazine says you can worm chickens at four to six weeks of age....I worm mine very sparingly...to help reduce immunity in the parasites, and to limit chemical exposure to my hens.

I like to worm them at POL before I introduce them to the rest of the flock. Make sure you expose them to lot's of different scraps you plan on feeding when they're older so they don't grow up fussy (offer it after they fill up on their pullet food in the morning so they get all the correct goodness though)

If you haven't had young chicks before - I got concerned when they suddenly seemed to loose alot of feathers around week 6 and 7- but then I read that they will go through a juvenile molt several times so loosing some of their baby feathers is natural. I just wasn't expecting it.

Back
Top Bottom