Chlicken and Duck were taken

misty and me

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 5, 2014
So my 3 lb Hen barred rock was some how taken under a fence with hardly any space ....when she was found 100 feet away ,up a hill and in the woods she was a pile of feathers 1 foot, and part of her beak... :( next to her was our Rhoan Duck he is 5lbs he was next on the menu my husband grabbed him he has puncture wounds in his head he was near death in shock we took him to ER Bird vet he assessed and said the puncture wounds are deep but he had hope.... this happened at 11 am What the heck did this? the duck appered to have been dragged maybe or could a hawk pick him up by head.... the puncture wounds are deep any thoughts and they were found in a wooded area????

Was the space overhead fenced in or just the surrounding ground? Could have been an aerial attack, but raccoons are also notorious for dragging birds through and under fencing on the ground.

I'm so sorry for your loss and hope your guy makes it :(

yep sounds like raccoons they live close to encloser I hate them they dragged our duck100 ft had him in a head lock my husband got to him before they started on him.... so awful..... but he is actually doing ok we took him to er bird vet and he was optimistic so we decided to take care of him around the clock he is recovering slowing..... so raccoons can come out during day.... we have to trap them...

yep sounds like raccoons they live close to encloser I hate them they dragged our duck100 ft had him in a head lock my husband got to him before they started on him.... so awful..... but he is actually doing ok we took him to er bird vet and he was optimistic so we decided to take care of him around the clock he is recovering slowing..... so raccoons can come out during day.... we have to trap them...
And after you trap them you need to kill them. Please do not "relocate" them. It's not legal in most places, anyway, because of the risk of spreading diseases. Another thing to consider is beefing up your chicken and duck enclosures to prevent another predator from getting your birds. You can trap and kill one raccoon, but you can be rest assured that there are more than one out there.

Back
Top Bottom