Chokecherry jelly recipe?

chickypoo

Songster
11 Years
Mar 13, 2008
Colorado
Anyone here have a good recipe for chokecherry jelly? We tried to make some a few years back but it didn't work, made great syrup though. We get so many of them that it is a shame to let them just sit there but we don't know what to do with them.

I mix it half and half with apple or white grape juice and use liquid pectin to make it gell. I think that cherries of any kind don't have enough pectin to gell on their own and that may be why you ended up with some very good syrup.
Hope that helps!

Hello chickypoo! I have made my share of syrup too. Although the syrup is very tasty, it gets frustrating after a while. I see you are in Colorado. I'm in Montana at 3000ft. Even though I followed the directions for my altitude, I still kept getting syrup - no matter what type I tried.

I believe I have finally figured it out. I have successfully made several batches of Dandelion jelly and most recently Chokecherry jelly. Here's the recipe if you want to check it out.

High Altitude Chokecherry Jelly Recipe
http://www.xomba.com/high_altitude_chokecherry_jelly_recipe

I hope your chokecherry season hasn't ended in CO yet and have a chance to try it. Please let me know how it works out for you!

I still have syrup I'm trying to use up from last year and came up with a salad dressing recipe that I am totally hooked on. If you follow the link in my signature to my articles, you'll see it there as well as my high altitude dandelion jelly.

If you are looking for other ways to use your chokecherries, I heard that chokecherry wine is awesome! Never tried it though and probably won't have time to try this year. Also, I saw a recipe for chokecherry vinegar somewhere that sounded good. Probably could find it via google.

Back
Top Bottom