Chook house plans for 'Les Poules' - help / feedback for a newbie please!

It sounds like a very sturdy coop and almost definitely predator proof, but the cement idea throws me. I think that the cement would be bad for their feet, but I've never tried a cement run. Good luck!

I'll be covering it - I think with sand in the summer and possibly the deep litter method in the summer (more research and decisions lol!), I wont' just leave it bare - not sure if it would be bad for their feet but can't imagine it being comfy or easy to clean if it was bare.

I've just done the maths and with the current style plan if I run the coop all along one side 1m x 2.2m it would be enough for 6 chickens (do the silkies need less space for the maths?) but haven't seen any coops that are long and thin like that in that style. Can anyone help? Would I be better doing it square still but just bigger so then the run bit wraps around like an 'L'?

I'm thinking in terms of cleaning and access which would be easier - long and thin (3 foot x 7 and a bit foot) or 5 foot square ish both for the same floor space?

For the long vs. square idea for cleaning I think it depends on where your door to clean is. I have an approximately 1m x 2m x 1m "long" brooder coop/quarantine coop. I have a fold down hatch on the short side to access feed and water, but on the "long" side opposite the window I have a board with a track to slide up and down and is secured with a screw at the top. I use the side that essentially removes to clean it out and I have no problems, but if I had to clean from the short side it would be a lot more difficult. It all depends on how you plan on cleaning it out. On the silkie/bantam note, bantams do need slightly less, but as is always the case, more room is always better. I plan for at least 4 sq. feet for large fowl, and 3 sq. feet for bantams. With the run also it seems to be whatever you want to have on your coop. A square coop with an "L" run might save more space, but might take a little more planning. Personally I prefer my runs to be rectangles extending from my coop just for simplicity's sake. Mine also seemed roomier than my L run. Hope it helps!

Hard to keep track of it all.....there's SO much!!
I kept/keep a Word doc and a spread sheet to copy and paste notes and links.
Headings (roosts, coops, feeders, etc) help a lot when looking for it later.
That is a great idea! I have already done something similar for my garden (on a huge learning curve as a newbie gardener and now chicken owner!).

Back
Top Bottom