Chook novice! Advice required:-)

LDev

Songster
10 Years
May 31, 2013
Scotland
Hi everyone,
I am a complete novice in Scotland(more used to sheep than chickens!) but have just rehomed 2 ex commercial barn layers who were due for slaughter last week (18months old...age of destruction for a commercial hen) I will no doubt be bombarding you all with questions about my girls. They seem to have settled into their temporary coop quite well...I had to get ready in a rush as only found out about the rehoming 4 days before I picked them up. One of them has laid every day since I got them last Saturday, but the other only laid once. She is not the dominant hen and was not in as good condition as the other, just short of some feathers. She seems fine in herself, is eating well and drinking plenty, should I be concerned or will it take a few weeks for her to settle? They have asserted their place and both seem quite happy together. Thanks in advance!

Welcome to BYC!!!
frow.gif
Glad to have you aboard!!
highfive.gif

Thanks for the advice, have fallen in love with them so no doubt this will be the start of my hen rescuing life lol! My electricity bill has gone down drastically already, have only been watching and laughing at their antics instead of tv;-) 860 hens were re homed last weekend by lots of lovely people and big thanks to Wing and a Prayer charity who have saved thousands of battery and barn girls and found them new forever homes x

Back
Top Bottom