Christmas Hatch-A-Long

I had a young hen lay a first egg today... and it was fertile! I am going to do a MLK day hatch, if anyone is interested. I don't know which eggs I will use, but the dads will be my LO.

Frozen eggs.
Below 28.4°F/-2°C ice crystals will start to form in the egg and permanently damage internal structures. If they spent any time at or below those temps, I think it is a waste of time setting them.
Eggs can considerable time in temperatures close to
freezing without suffering damage.

I think my Christmas eggs may be done. I hatched 18 eggs last week but since then the incubator went to 104.7 and 104.5 twice.

Last edited:
Well thursday night i ended up jumping the gun with my new thermostat/diy incubator set up. I shouldve waited at least a full day to stabilize and fine tune it but instead i went ahead and switched my eggs over. BIG MISTAKE. i woke the next morning to find it at 109f pardon my french but **** me what the hell was i thinking?? I knew with this hatch id already lost 9 of the 24 to inconsistant heat and now i screwed up big time. One after one i candled them and no movement. Just.shoot.me.

Until one wiggled! Two!! Holy crap 5 lil buggers managed to survive the literal night of hell i just put them through, including the double yolker. I was crying and saying thank you like a doofus. I wanted to stay and watch them but i was already late for work so i lowered the temp and left. I kicked myself a lot on friday for being so stupid.
I checked tonight and theyre still coming along (day 16). I left 3 other ones that im sure are gone but wasnt all the way sure.

So thats where i am. Learned a hard lesson but i still have lil guys pulling though temps have been stable now as well

Fingers crossed!

If you jump the gun like that in the future, you're better off with it being a little cool than a little hot until it settles down.
When a hen gets off the nest, the eggs cool a bit but they never get hit with a blast furnace.

25398973_824896971046185_8827249463979953998_n.jpg
My new hatched babies love quilts and bird beds I make them. When they are little they hop on to them and stretch their legs and for the most part don't poop on them. (The first week any how.) I make little cover sheets so if they do get messed I can change the sheet. I stop using the baby bed after 2 weeks, because they get messy.
25348710_824897071046175_212897722603390733_n.jpg

Below is a new baby bed, a cover, and a quilt. Will fit 4 chicks on the same bed.
25446373_824897177712831_1768176043298366962_n.jpg
The beds are great for a chick getting used to walking and hopping, and the beds are the just right for newbies to hop up on.
Message me if you want this by X-mas. I will add one more cover sheet. Nikki.

Back
Top Bottom