Christmas lights / Rope lights

kuntrychick

Songster
10 Years
Jul 19, 2009
Alabama
I think I have decided to use some Christmas lights /rope lights in the coop on a timer to help with egg laying on these shorter days.

Question: Will the chickens not try to peck the lights? I was thinking the rope ones would be more safe instead of the wires between the lights showing in case they pecked on it.

Also, as far as where to put them in the coop...I was thinking since using the rope lights that come with the little plastic clips to just put them up around the perimeter of the ceiling....too high for the chickens to try to peck. Or, is the whole perimeter inside the coop a bit too much on lighting? Like, should I only have a shorter strand & put them at the top ceiling/wall on only 1 wall maybe facing them?

Thanks!

I use a corded light socket and a cheap electrical timer that I bought from IKEA for about $6 each. I just have a normal bulb in there right now.

You could probably use Christmas lights, but I would suggest using the LED ones.
LED bulbs can't shatter (no glass) so even if the chickens peck at them a little bit it shouldn't be a problem.

Quote:
Really? 75 watt puts out enough heat? I did not know that they put out enough to keep water from freezing! Learn something every day Kool THX

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom