Chronic egg bound hen advice

Should I try an antibiotic or penicillin in case she already has an infection brewing? Everything I've read about peritonitis is so grim I'm not sure what to do, however it's been four days so I know she's not egg bound. I'm pretty sure it's a soft egg or already broken egg in there, and yes she's always laid super thin shells when she does lay a normal egg. Poor girl. My other question : is the soaking in epsom salt bad for her if it is egg yolk peritonitis? I don't want to be doing anything to make her worse. Thanks so much!
I probably would not bathe her anymore, unless you have to clean up her vent area. Penicillin might help, but you could also try Baytril (enrofloxacin) which can be purchased online. It is banned for chickens in the US, but as long as you are not using her for meat, you can give to treat E.coli and other bacteria. Antibiotics may initially help if their is infection, but it probably won't cure her. I will send you a link to read about dosage and where to buy it online.

I found a pet store that carries powdered penicillin for birds does anyone know the dosage?
What is the name of the product? Here is one I found online that is bird penicillin powder 1/4 tsp to a gallon of water for 5 days:
http://www.allbirdproducts.com/newproductpages/birdpenicillin.html

Some use injectable procaine penicillin G at a dose of 0.25 ml given once daily by injection into the breast muscle for 4 days. That can be found in feed stores in the refrigerated medicines.

It's called "fishpen" 250mg tabs I'm reading 125 mg is good for chickens is this correct? The bottle says it's a bactericidal for gram positive and some gram negative bacteria and is dissolved in water

I am having trouble finding much info, but penicillin is usually given orally 4 times a day. Dosage should be around 250mg total for 24 hours, but I will keep checking. Where did you find your info?

I am having trouble finding much info, but penicillin is usually given orally 4 times a day. Dosage should be around 250mg total for 24 hours, but I will keep checking. Where did you find your info?
Another thread on here, there was a guy who said 150mg per day but that's all I could find also...

Casportpony has a good drug book that probably has it. Amoxicillin dosage is 250-300mg per day, and it is given 2 to 3 times, but I have given penicillin in pharmacies and in hospitals, and it is given every 6 hours or. 4 times a day. I just don't wan to tell you the wrong dosage. If it were me I would crush a 250 mg tablet and put it into 4 ml of yogurt. Mix it well, and then each ml will equal 65 mg. Then with a small amount of water if needed.

Casportpony has a good drug book that probably has it. Amoxicillin dosage is 250-300mg per day, and it is given 2 to 3 times, but I have given penicillin in pharmacies and in hospitals, and it is given every 6 hours or. 4 times a day. I just don't wan to tell you the wrong dosage. If it were me I would crush a 250 mg tablet and put it into 4 ml of yogurt. Mix it well, and then each ml will equal 65 mg. Then with a small amount of water if needed.
Thank you! I dissolved a 250 mg pill in 4cc of water and then drew 1cc in syringe and put in on a small piece of bread...she wanted no part of it. Not eating much, so I tried my best to syringe 1cc in her beak. She got some but was not happy. Not even interested in scrambled eggs at this point. I'll try to syringe more tonight

Last edited:
I have a call into my vet, I'm reading baytril is effective and also can stop them from laying after treatment. My girl is not doing well this morning...still trying to get the penecillin in her in the meantime.

Back
Top Bottom