Chronic foamy eye?!

Mirtheke

Hatching
Aug 6, 2023
Hello everyone! It's my first post but I've found all your information super helpful and always look for help here when in need. However, I now have a case that I was hoping to get some more specific help with.

I have a four month old Swedish Flower Hen. She's lovely, friendly and I just adore her. She is been through quite a lot. We were on holiday and when we came back we saw signs of Coryza in our flock. Though most of our chicken seemed fine, this little girl had a big pile of puss in her eye. We separated her, cleaned her eye and eventually the puss came out. Her eye is still in tact and she has lots of energy. She was back with the flock for a while, but her energy levels dropped. I brought her back in our hospital 'cage' and the next day we found her having a crooked neck. I was devastated!!! We decided to give her 24hrs before we would put her out of her misery and miraculously she was standing on her feet, happy to see us the next morning. I still can't believe it.

She's happy, roaming around and eating really well. The only concern is that she keeps having foamy eye (both eyes). We've been cleaning it with saline, put antibiotic ointment and eye drops, but nothing seems to work. At night she's inside in a warm brooder-like cage and during the day she's roaming around outside. She's with a friend who had some issues too and she doesn't seem to be contagious - they have been together for about two weeks now. I really can't give up on her, she's my favorite girl, but I'm afraid that when I put her back with the flock and outside during the night, the infection will get worse and she will die. I hope you have the secret that will save her!

Thanks everyone!

Thanks Kiki! Sorry, it would probably have been good to tell you that I'm in Africa and there's no vet that is able to help me with these chicken-diseases here. They will simply tell me to kill her and I am not ready for that just yet. Any advise is highly appreciated!

Do you have a picture? How do you know that it is coryza and not mycoplasma (MG,) or an infected eye. Is there a bad odor from the face? Clean it with saline (a liter of water boiled and cooled with 2 teaspoonsful or 9 grams of table salt) mixed well. If you have antibiotic ointment such as Terramycin or Neosporin, put a dab into the eye twice a day after cleaning. Welcome to BYC.

Back
Top Bottom