Chronic shell-less egg layer

Shanijoyous

Chirping
Mar 4, 2015
I have been playing detective for a few days looking for what I thought was a egg eater, but it turns out my favorite hen has been laying shell-less eggs. Today she was free ranging and just plops out an egg yolk with whites streaming out behind. It totally freaked me out. All the girls in my flock are two years old. I use Countryside Organics feed. Occasional treats are table scraps, scrambled eggs, tuna fish, seed mixed with dried fruit. I did put a saddle on Sriracha and her sister Wednesday because their feathers have been looking ratty. Any advice is welcomed!

Shell-less eggs are generally from stress as the egg comes out early before the shell is applied. They are also seen when hens are starting back up or shutting down. Keeping stress to a minimum will help. Saddles are stressful to hens. I always prefer to remove the rooster if you are getting too much feather loss.

Shell-less eggs are generally from stress as the egg comes out early before the shell is applied. They are also seen when hens are starting back up or shutting down. Keeping stress to a minimum will help. Saddles are stressful to hens. I always prefer to remove the rooster if you are getting too much feather loss.

Hmm? She was laying shell-less eggs before the saddle. That's why I used it (her sister is fine). I don't have any roosters, but my dominant hen is a meany. I may have to give her away.

Egg shell problems can be caused by the hen not having sufficient Calcium. You didn't mention if you were feeding a layer type feed or if you provide Oyster shells as a supplement. Hope this is helpful.

Egg shell problems can be caused by the hen not having sufficient Calcium. You didn't mention if you were feeding a layer type feed or if you provide Oyster shells as a supplement. Hope this is helpful.

Yes, I do use a layer feed and provide oyster shells. Although I may start mixing in with the feed. Sriracha is a 2 years old barred rock. Could it be age?

Yes, I do use a layer feed and provide oyster shells. Although I may start mixing in with the feed. Sriracha is a 2 years old barred rock. Could it be age?
Don't mix the OS with the feed.
Layer feed should have enough calcium,
tho the other foods you are giving may be diluting the nutrients in the layer feed.
Layer feed is meant to be the sole feed.

Just adding more calcium is not always a solution,
uptake and application of calcium needs other nutrients to work properly.
I'd cut out all but the layer feed and clean water for 2-3 weeks and see if there's an improvement.

Tho if she's the only one not laying 'good' eggs',
it may be something not right in her system rather than the overall diet.

Where in the world are you located?
Did the birds molt last fall/winter?

Don't mix the OS with the feed.
Layer feed should have enough calcium,
tho the other foods you are giving may be diluting the nutrients in the layer feed.
Layer feed is meant to be the sole feed.

Just adding more calcium is not always a solution,
uptake and application of calcium needs other nutrients to work properly.
I'd cut out all but the layer feed and clean water for 2-3 weeks and see if there's an improvement.

Tho if she's the only one not laying 'good' eggs',
it may be something not right in her system rather than the overall diet.

Where in the world are you located?
Did the birds molt last fall/winter?

I'm in Raleigh, NC. I have 4 hens and Sriracha is the only girl having problems. They did molt this fall, but not fully.

I wouldn't think her age would be a factor, at 2 years old she should still have several years of productivity left. I agree with aart try the steps he recommended being she is the only one with the problem. Good luck to you.

UPDATE: There were 4 eggs in the nest box this morning one from each of my ladies! And I haven't seen any yolk or whites on the poop board! I have been adding a couple drops of oregano essential oil in their water every 2 days and it seems to be working!

Back
Top Bottom