CHRONIC STRINGY BUMBLEFOOT

Many people do in fact use fish medications to treat their chickens orally. The clindimycin above is in 150 mg capsules, and that is way to much for a chicken. Some of the dosages I have read are 10 mg per every 2.2 lb twice a day, I have never used it. There are lower dosages in capsule form or drops available online with a prescription. Fish med companies can sell these online if they state they are only for fish.

Last edited:
Ickthammol is good stuff. I have tried it all and I can't say one works better than another. Except for this stuff they make for horses called Magnapaste or another name and basically it's Epsom salt gel. I wrap a foot in it overnight.

30 surgeries sounds like an awful lot on one chicken. I'm not sure I know what stringy bumble foot is. But it might be something else. If it was my chicken, and mine are all pets, I would think about not doing any more surgery . I have 2 hens with bumbles for 3 years now and they have not caused any trouble, limping, or swelling, or redness. Nothing. If they limp or swell, I'll treat it.

When I say thirty, it more like 3 or 4 invasive ones and the rest were just pulling out any pus I could see forming under scab when I changed the bandages. I don't think she would do ok leaving the feet alone. She tries to sleep on the edge of the door rather than the flat roost because the can sit.on the very backs of her foot where it's not swollen. They obviously hurt her.

Back
Top Bottom