Chronicles of Raising Meat Birds - Modern Broilers, Heritage and Hybrids

Pics
Do you think they are selecting for better meat birds in that line? The non GMO thing I am not much interested in but I am wondering about stock. Mostly I think ordinary hatchery Delaware stock would be not so great for a meat bird project.

I was looking at the Delawares (and some others) at Deer Run Farm. Seems like very good stick and they do have 4 really nice egg layer breeds.

https://www.deerrunfarmmd.com/pages/our-breeding-program
I ordered Welsummer eggs from deer run and they are GREAT PEOPLE.

From my Delaware group there are a few things I’ve learned.

The deer run farm line was taken over from a well known breeder line. It’s a pretty good line, and deer run is actively working on improving the breeding of the flock.

There are really only three or four lines of Delawares other than hatchery. The deer run farm line is one of those and I can’t recall the name right now.

The other main line is Bonham. None of us here want that line. It is a show line of VERY correct birds however they take 30+ weeks to reach maturity. I have a TWELVE week old boy that weighs 1 pound 12 ounces. :::eye roll:::

There used to be a big main breeder of Delawares called Chick Charney. I thiiiiiink in Oregon. They were a hybrid of great utility and show. Unfortunately that group is no longer in Delawares. They sold their entire stock and the buyer is not NPIP and I don’t know what state they are in, but it’s not TX... I know that much.

All the Delaware club breeders told me to get Utility meat birds from Dawnridge Farm (she is the breeder I posted the podcast to a few weeks ago....). But they’re really expensive so I’m hesitant. 25 for 250 including shipping. Uh.... and I just want to eat them to even see if I like them. :eek:

I asked about the freedom ranger hatchery birds and none of the Delaware breeders acted like they knew the history of Henry Noll’s stock.

But now this makes me remember a post on ByC from years ago I found in search. Henry Noll owned a fairly well known and respected hatchery that specialized in meat broilers. Guess who bought it? Moyers. (I think. I hope I’m not spouting misinformation). My assumption is that they COULD be actively selecting for utility/meat in that Henry Noll line. I’m going to ask around to see if there’s more info. Has anyone called Freedom ranger Hatchery to talk to them?

I decided to process the 2 CX cockerels today, along with an extra Coturnix cock. I'm looking forward to see how they compare to storebought birds. I will record live and dressed weights as well just because I am curious how it differs from DP birds.
Good luck and cant wait to see the results!

3.0 lbs for the CX male, .3 lbs coturnix male. I set a new speed record for me... 20 minutes start-to-finish on the CX, including breasting it out, which I've never tried before. I only did the one male because the other escaped from his pen and took a dust bath. :sick Mmm, fresh dirt. I figured he can wait until the pullets are processed.

@Compost King and new York Rita I’ll just keep you updated with “juicy” tidbits. I’m going to get some Delawares from one of these breeders and I’ll highlight what I find out of importance to us all looking into these goals.

I’ve been wishing I didn’t have some business reasons to be on Facebook and am looking for ways to diversify other opportunities so I don’t have to be. Kudos to you both!
I have a few Delawares 2 hens and a roo. Nice size but not nearly as big as my Orpingtons. They do grow faster than Orpingtons just not as big. At least the ones I have anyways. I think the Delaware is my favorite bird so they will stay around for awhile.

Last edited:
Just came across this.

Loooooook at those carcass sizes 70 years ago!!!

Oh my gosh. Those chickens processed all ready to go to the market are so skinny!!

When I was a young child from about 6 to my teens I remember going to the in town A&P Supermarket here in town and we would usually buy a whole chicken to bake. Thinking back they were no were near as much white meat a today.

It was a looooooooong time ago.

I have a few Delawares 2 hens and a roo. Nice size but not nearly as big as my Orpingtons. They do grow faster than Orpingtons just not as big. At least the ones I have anyways. I think the Delaware is my favorite big so they will stay around for awhile.
You guys are making me want to get Delaware's and I haven't even tried the Bielefelder's that I have coming

Back
Top Bottom