Chronicles of Raising Meat Birds - Modern Broilers, Heritage and Hybrids

Pics
The last of my CX were butchered today. I got a new table, one with a faucet that attaches to a hose, and it is AMAZING. I cannot emphasize enough how much easier the entire process is when there is a hands-free source of running water. I finished 6 birds in about three hours, and it was a much more sanitary process overall.
I'm going to brine the legs and breasts this go-round. I did it for the one cockerel I did last week and I found it improved the taste/smell significantly.

As a side note, some of the carcasses had broken wings from death throes. Is this a CX thing, or were they improperly fed?

Last edited:
At their age they shouldn’t be too gross. However as they feather they have bare spots and that’s where problems can develop.

If you’re around to do it you could switch to feedings instead of free feed. That will prevent them from congregating at the feeders. Also more feeders, smaller on each, but still enough feeder space in total.

As they grow, RAISE the feeders. Most people that grow a lot hang feeders. I just use wood underneath the feeders but I’m concerned that’s going to develop a big problem for me so I’m about to switch to hanging. This keeps the birds standing when they eat which is super important for two reasons... it keeps their legs healthier and it prevents them from sitting on that bare skin by the feeder.

I’ve found the worst spots, especially in warmer weather, are near the waters.

I do a medium-deep litter. Since they don’t scratch you have to turn it or let your layers in to turn it. I just toss it around once a day. You don’t have to do a whole clean out all the time.

I thought my Cornish looked pretty good last time and these are pretty similar, but this batch looks pretty worse for wear compared to the slightly slower growing breeds.
I'll get some pictures later of them. It's probably from the ducks their with making a mess. Trying to avoid that lol. We all know how that goes lol. This is their daytime set up

Attachments

• B5C30D1A-F986-4135-AB0F-6BAD678E59F4.jpeg
    B5C30D1A-F986-4135-AB0F-6BAD678E59F4.jpeg
    934.1 KB · Views: 14
Well I was hard at work pruning and tying up my tomato plants. Also picking tomatoes. I do love to garden but I sure do wish I was part of this raising your own meat birds movement. Too many practically on top of you neighbors here.
My neighbors kids are here so the time playing with mine. I sent her a text to let her know when I did my Drake because they showed up 5 minutes after I was done with my rooster lol

View attachment 1866874 View attachment 1866875 Barnyard surprises from hatchery stock at 11 weeks. They started to crow. This is the first 4 of 10 hatchlings. Tried to get the biggest, but the scale says 1.5 pounds each. They are small.

Pin feathers!! :barnie:barnie:barnie

Took way longer than it should have this morning. Also why other 2 are skinned. These may get skinned today too, but I’ve already spent a lot of time.

This one took me forever. It was my first. I 100% agree, darn pin feathers. I did end up skinning it lol

Attachments

• 6E1AA073-C144-4D7B-97D1-5568FC2E1C80.jpeg
    6E1AA073-C144-4D7B-97D1-5568FC2E1C80.jpeg
    879 KB · Views: 14
The last of my CX were butchered today. I got a new table, one with a faucet that attaches to a hose, and it is AMAZING. I cannot emphasize enough how much easier the entire process is when there is a hands-free source of running water. I finished 6 birds in about three hours, and it was a much more sanitary process overall.
I'm going to brine the legs and breasts this go-round. I did it for the one cockerel I did last week and I found it improved the taste/smell significantly.
I'm really hoping to get one of those tables before I do these birds and my next batch of ducks.

That's pretty much what I did. I ended up having to skin my first, I made a mess of the skin plucking.
X2. Well, the skin was in good condition after plucking, but when I gutted the bird so much of it came loose around the cut edges that it was easier to remove it all.

Back
Top Bottom