Chronicles of Raising Meat Birds - Modern Broilers, Heritage and Hybrids

Pics
For those of you that pressure cook older birds, how long do you cook them?
If you mean by "older" a bird that's over a year old, I would rest him 4-5 days in the frig, then pressure cook an hour for meat that falls off the bone to use in any cooked chicken recipe, chicken soup/stew. But if he is only 4-6 months old that might be too long and 30 min might be best. I like to fry them brown first, then 30 min under pressure. YUM!

If you mean by "older" a bird that's over a year old, I would rest him 4-5 days in the frig, then pressure cook an hour for meat that falls off the bone to use in any cooked chicken recipe, chicken soup/stew. But if he is only 4-6 months old that might be too long and 30 min might be best. I like to fry them brown first, then 30 min under pressure. YUM!

What do you mean by fry them down?

I had 4 cockerels that we butchered at 17 or 18 weeks. We put them on ice for 24 hours, then they went in the freezer. They were stressing out the pullets with their fighting.

What do you mean by fry them down?

I had 4 cockerels that we butchered at 17 or 18 weeks. We put them on ice for 24 hours, then they went in the freezer. They were stressing out the pullets with their fighting.
Brown. Just coat the chicken pieces in flour, fry in a couple of TBS oil until Brown. Just a few minutes. Then, add a cup of water and cook ~20 min at 15 pounds pressure, turn off the heat and wait until the pressure drops. (I have a small Presto cooker that is 6 qts). The recipe is scanned as an article if you copy & paste the link in my signature. That is from the 1974 booklet that came with the cooker. New cookers that I have do not include any chicken recipes, that I could see. No one cooks chicken that way since the Cornish-X took over. Hope that helps. I like pressure cooking -- it is faster, doesn't heat the kitchen as much, and I like to make gravy with the liquid from this recipe.

Brown. Just coat the chicken pieces in flour, fry in a couple of TBS oil until Brown. Just a few minutes. Then, add a cup of water and cook ~20 min at 15 pounds pressure, turn off the heat and wait until the pressure drops. (I have a small Presto cooker that is 6 qts). The recipe is scanned as an article if you copy & paste the link in my signature. That is from the 1974 booklet that came with the cooker. New cookers that I have do not include any chicken recipes, that I could see. No one cooks chicken that way since the Cornish-X took over. Hope that helps. I like pressure cooking -- it is faster, doesn't heat the kitchen as much, and I like to make gravy with the liquid from this recipe.
:bowThank you!

PS

I love my pressure cooker for all the same reasons. Especially not heating up the kitchen.

:bowThank you!

PS

I love my pressure cooker for all the same reasons. Especially not heating up the kitchen.
After moving to mile-high Prescott, I use mine more than I ever have. Cooking is different at high alt, takes longer, some things just are never tender. (Chuck roast in the oven, for example). Pressure cooker is always the same time!

Looks like I’m getting a pressure cooker.

:)

Welcome @igorsMistress!!

Good luck with the Bresse hatch @aliciaplus3!

My Delawares and broilers ship Monday! :ya
I am considering getting one. a Stove top one because the last thing I need is another thing that plugs into the wall.... I look forward to hearing about your Delawares

Back
Top Bottom