Chronicles of Raising Meat Birds - Modern Broilers, Heritage and Hybrids

Pics
Hawks are so annoying because they can strike at any time and you can't do much about it. My city is full of them, you can see a few at any given time during the day and some days I can see up to a dozen flying around. Mostly they go for squirrels here. They do not have much of a run way to take off from with a full grown chicken but I suspect some of my missing small juvenile birds went to hawks. The good news is that they just grab one unlike the night predators who get into a coop and kill off all of them just to eat part of one of them.

I read about this planned power outage and was astonished, https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-49982236.
I can't begin to imagine the inconvenience - to say the least - this will cause to so many people; anyone with an incubator or brooder in operation, for example. (Unless of course having your own generator is normal there...?)

Still have power, but they are still saying it will be turned off within the hour.

The crazy thing is that there is NO wind right now, and high winds were supposed to be the reason that power needed to be shut down. It seems like they were committed to this shutoff plan and are not going to be deterred by a change in the forecast.

They are also saying that turning off the grid will damage the equipment and it might be out for several days while they make repairs.

I'm sort of in shock that this is happening. I keep wondering about things like traffic safety, looting and inability to communicate easily in case of an emergency from other causes.

I read about this planned power outage and was astonished, https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-49982236.
I can't begin to imagine the inconvenience - to say the least - this will cause to so many people; anyone with an incubator or brooder in operation, for example. (Unless of course having your own generator is normal there...?)
It's more common out in the country where we are, but plenty of people do not have them.

I keep wondering about things like traffic safety, looting and inability to communicate easily in case of an emergency from other causes.
I had assumed that public services will continue to be supplied; the news item talks about them setting up a number of resource centres where people can charge up devices, but maybe I'm missing something... and if it's all done in the name of safety, why would they be switching off traffic lights or the mobile phone network?

I had assumed that public services will continue to be supplied; the news item talks about them setting up a number of resource centres where people can charge up devices, but maybe I'm missing something... and if it's all done in the name of safety, why would they be switching off traffic lights or the mobile phone network?
I've read that the traffic lights and internet relay towers, and people's televisions will be down due to lack of electricity. This seems to create safety and communication concerns in my mind. The thinking is, I assume, that these dangers are less than the risk of a fire caused by a downed electrical line.

I've read that the traffic lights and internet relay towers, and people's televisions will be down due to lack of electricity. This seems to create safety and communication concerns in my mind. The thinking is, I assume, that these dangers are less than the risk of a fire caused by a downed electrical line.

Didn't PG&E get in trouble because their equipment caused a fire that did a lot of damage?

Back
Top Bottom