Chronicles of Raising Meat Birds - Modern Broilers, Heritage and Hybrids

Pics
Didn't PG&E get in trouble because their equipment caused a fire that did a lot of damage?
according to the BBC report, "The huge “Camp Fire" in the town of Paradise last year burned 150,000 acres and left 86 people dead. An investigation determined that poorly maintained PG&E equipment was to blame for starting the historic blaze."

Didn't PG&E get in trouble because their equipment caused a fire that did a lot of damage?

Yes. PG&E is in bankruptcy right now, because of lawsuits when high winds blow down power lines, or wind knocks trees or branches into power lines, sparking fires. PG&E is in a tough spot, here to be sure.

It was just announced that they are delaying the shut off in my area for a few hours due to a change in the weather. My fingers are crossed that it gets cancelled altogether.

And, in other news, the first chick just hatched! It's one of the Moyer speciality broilers. Because of the messed up air cells, I am hatching the eggs upright in cut-down egg cartons. Was glad to see the little one had no trouble hatching out. It's bumbling about the incubator cheeping like crazy. Hopefully it will inspire the other chicks to start hatching.

according to the BBC report, "The huge “Camp Fire" in the town of Paradise last year burned 150,000 acres and left 86 people dead. An investigation determined that poorly maintained PG&E equipment was to blame for starting the historic blaze."

I've lived in CA and experienced the Santa Anas first hand. I don't really know how they can guard against those :idunno

Yes. PG&E is in bankruptcy right now, because of lawsuits when high winds blow down power lines, or wind knocks trees or branches into power lines, sparking fires. PG&E is in a tough spot, here to be sure.

It was just announced that they are delaying the shut off in my area for a few hours due to a change in the weather. My fingers are crossed that it gets cancelled altogether.

And, in other news, the first chick just hatched! It's one of the Moyer speciality broilers. Because of the messed up air cells, I am hatching the eggs upright in cut-down egg cartons. Was glad to see the little one had no trouble hatching out. It's bumbling about the incubator cheeping like crazy. Hopefully it will inspire the other chicks to start hatching.

Let's hope the winds stay calm and your unhatched chicks are inspired!

Does this look fertilized?
95A9CFD2-8484-4B8E-81B3-D552765C2246.jpeg

I cracked another one and it looks like it too. Here are some more photos of that one. Reflections are annoying.

And today’s eggs are starting to look big enough to hatch. I think I’ll collect and throw some in the incubator. If they’re fertile that’s the Delaware I posted last week over the robust whites. I’ve got two robusts laying almost every day.

D68D48BC-6260-44A7-8CC5-485B39E3E49D.jpeg
2D731F18-E3D5-484B-ACC7-8D4C9D24EFE2.jpeg
4B84BC65-4D25-46FD-9200-B7A70E03994F.jpeg

The bullseye is much clearer in those pics, looks good! That ring around the center is what indicates they're fertile. As I recall it's called a blastodisc and the center dot is the blastoderm.

Back
Top Bottom