Chronicles of Raising Meat Birds - Modern Broilers, Heritage and Hybrids

I used to keep my compost pile inside an area where the chickens could get to and did it Vermont Composting Company style...a la chicken.
Once upon a time I was working with other area farmers at my old farm to get a large on farm composting operation going, taking in from groceries, schools, and tree trimmers, and I fully intended to use chickens for part of my labor to supplement the tractor work.

There is a year 'round creek on my property and a couple of months back I ordered a fish/crayfish trap so I could use my creek as a source of protein if need be. It's FULL of minnows, snails, and crayfish.

I used to keep my compost pile inside an area where the chickens could get to and did it Vermont Composting Company style...a la chicken.
Once upon a time I was working with other area farmers at my old farm to get a large on farm composting operation going, taking in from groceries, schools, and tree trimmers, and I fully intended to use chickens for part of my labor to supplement the tractor work.

There is a year 'round creek on my property and a couple of months back I ordered a fish/crayfish trap so I could use my creek as a source of protein if need be. It's FULL of minnows, snails, and crayfish.
Sounds amazing!!!

@jolenesdad -- Your pup is awesome! I wish I could trust my dogs around chickens, but both of my -- a spaniel and a lab mix -- are very bird fixated, and not in a good way.

When it's hot and humid here I just leave about an inch in a 5 gallon bucket and ferment/soak 12hrs or so.

When it gets hot, this is what I do as well. I've also taken to draping a wet towel over the bucket when I'm done to keep it cool. My chickens love it, unless it gets too warm or too sour. When I raised CX, that's all I ever fed them. With my layers, they get a bowl every morning and night, and I have dry available the rest of the time.

@jolenesdad -- Your pup is awesome! I wish I could trust my dogs around chickens, but both of my -- a spaniel and a lab mix -- are very bird fixated, and not in a good way.

When it gets hot, this is what I do as well. I've also taken to draping a wet towel over the bucket when I'm done to keep it cool. My chickens love it, unless it gets too warm or too sour. When I raised CX, that's all I ever fed them. With my layers, they get a bowl every morning and night, and I have dry available the rest of the time.
It’s understandable since both of those are bird dogs. It’s built in them.

It’s understandable since both of those are bird dogs. It’s built in them.
True but it is possible. A little bit harder maybe but definitely possible. And I even have heard of people who have hunting dogs yet they are perfectly fine with the chickens because they were smart enough to learn the difference and know that the chickens are completely off limits.

True but it is possible. A little bit harder maybe but definitely possible. And I even have heard of people who have hunting dogs yet they are perfectly fine with the chickens because they were smart enough to learn the difference and know that the chickens are completely off limits.
I’d never trust a hunting dog no matter how well they are trained. It’s instinct, you cant train it out of a dog. I learned that in a training course. A dog can be trained all it’s life, but once there is a trigger there’s always a chance. They’re an animal, it’s what animals do.

I’d never trust a hunting dog no matter how well they are trained. It’s instinct, you cant train it out of a dog. I learned that in a training course. A dog can be trained all it’s life, but once there is a trigger there’s always a chance. They’re an animal, it’s what animals do.
Ehh I guess so but that’s true of pretty much any dog, not just hunting dogs. They all would love a chicken dinner I’m sure. And at least most hunting dogs are very people oriented and live to please and would rather do that than get in huuuuuugggeeeee trouble over a massacre haha huskies or a terrier or something like that though on the other hand? I would never trust them around chickens. Way too high of a prey drive. And maybe some of the spaniels or Labs. They’re wild :lau but like for example, Goldens are the sweetest gentlest things ever aha but I guess it is instinct so you’re right that they could go after them. But still, I think I’d trust a Golden over a Husky any day. BUT. That said, I honestly would not leave any dog alone with the chickens because you just never know. Even though they’re trained, it’s instinct like you said and I would never ever trust them alone. Except maybe an LGD but even then I still wouldn’t trust them especially given they’re more bred for larger livestock like sheep and goats.

Back
Top Bottom