Chronicles of Raising Meat Birds - Modern Broilers, Heritage and Hybrids

If it is closed and full even if it’s without power for a time it’ll still hold the freeze right?

That is a trick we use in hurricane country where loss of power is kind of expected. If you fill empty (and washed out) milk jugs with water and freeze them the freezer will hold the freeze a lot longer than if it is empty. So fill any excess space with ice. Plus you have plenty of ice for fishing trips or when you butcher chickens. That's why you wash out the milk jugs. Clean ice.

An ice storm did that to me up in Arkansas several years back so I got a generator. I lost a lot more than chicken backs. I'm actually happy I haven't had to use that generator yet. The last time I pulled the cord to start it, it cranked on the first pull.

UGH my freezer is plugged into a GFI series of outlets that tripped so since it was totally dead there was no alarm from the freezer. I just lost all of my soup backs! 😭😭😭😭 I had the house power washed for the listing photos and they must’ve gotten water in an outlet causing them all to trip.

I need to get some kind of alarm system. How could I have avoided this? Hmmm. Wouldn’t an alarm have to be plugged in to the same outlet? Grrrrrr. I guess it’s a daily check of the freezer. If it is closed and full even if it’s without power for a time it’ll still hold the freeze right?

just glad it was only backs.
I just received a small thermometer/hygrometer that links up with your phone via bluetooth and was unaware when I ordered that it had an alarm setting that could set to whatever I wanted and would alert my phone. I think I am going to like that feature too.
Mine is mainly for inside the incubator for hatching because it can record and track minute changes, and when I'm not hatching I have other uses for it.

GoVee has a line of different units on Amazon in various sizes that work with the free Govee app. I went with a model that both syncs and has a visual display for quick visuals. (not affiliated)

Ordered. Annoyed I never realized the freezer alarm is for an open door and not loss of power. 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️ Rookie mistake.
I've got a Freezer that alarms on power outages. BUT the power has to come back on for it to work. Every blip, surge and outage we get, I have to shut the damn alarm off. Yes, I know we had a blip, everything is still frozen. thank you for asking.

This feature would not have worked in your case.

Another 5 processed! DD#1 was coming over, then decided that she would melt in the rain. I got another 5 done in 2.5 hours and need to clean them up some more and weigh them. Didn't get the weights in the rain. And the lightning wasn't that close. :rolleyes:

Did you know that the rain keeps the flies and mosquitos down? I found it very refreshing. Except for my overalls weighing another 10 pounds. Pocket filled with water. Almost better than sweating that much. Bottom line, I got 'er done!

UGH my freezer is plugged into a GFI series of outlets that tripped so since it was totally dead there was no alarm from the freezer. I just lost all of my soup backs! 😭😭😭😭 I had the house power washed for the listing photos and they must’ve gotten water in an outlet causing them all to trip.

I need to get some kind of alarm system. How could I have avoided this? Hmmm. Wouldn’t an alarm have to be plugged in to the same outlet? Grrrrrr. I guess it’s a daily check of the freezer. If it is closed and full even if it’s without power for a time it’ll still hold the freeze right?

I have a UPS for my computer that has enough battery to run my system for about 20-30 min, or the router and modem for about 1 day. It alarms until you shut off the sound. The freezer would be too much for it, but you could plug one of those into the same GFI circut as the freezer and the alarm would beep for days on the battery. If you already have one, it is free to do. I like the nice one on Amazon if you are getting something new.

I have a UPS for my computer that has enough battery to run my system for about 20-30 min, or the router and modem for about 1 day. It alarms until you shut off the sound. The freezer would be too much for it, but you could plug one of those into the same GFI circut as the freezer and the alarm would beep for days on the battery. If you already have one, it is free to do. I like the nice one on Amazon if you are getting something new.
This is brilliant.

I wouldn't recommend motor loads being plugged into GFCI outlets. As the compressor stars they can trip the GFCI due to the inrush current. You've had some really bad luck with freezers... You definitely invest in a battery freezer alarm.

I wouldn't recommend motor loads being plugged into GFCI outlets. As the compressor stars they can trip the GFCI due to the inrush current. You've had some really bad luck with freezers... You definitely invest in a battery freezer alarm.
I know! The first was my own fault and it was in my barn that’s really far from my house.

thank you I’ll see if I have any non gfi in my garage.

Back
Top Bottom