Chronicles of Raising Meat Birds - Modern Broilers, Heritage and Hybrids

I expect them to be what my old book calls "double poussin"
IMG_4949.JPG
IMG_4950.JPG

This is from "Modern Poultry Husbandry" third edition 1953. Thought you guys here might like to see how small heritage meat really was.

Anyone do quail in here? I’m thinking about maybe next weekend or the weekend after to try quail.

Just wanted tips and pointers
Yep. About to butcher 20 or so of the delicious little things. Did you read the Quail forum? Lots of tips, tricks & to dos.

I would also like to try some quail. I hear they are easier to raise and butcher than most domestic birds. True or wishful thinking? @RUNuts can you point to any specific threads or articles in the quail section that are especially helpful?

Yep. About to butcher 20 or so of the delicious little things. Did you read the Quail forum? Lots of tips, tricks & to dos.
I’ll go look today. I have successfully done about 6 hatches. Now I’m going to think out by looking at coloring and temperament. If they run with interaction, we put them in a crate then we weed those out by color. We have a whole system and so far my breeding aviary is getting along very well. Their offspring looks amazing too so I know my system works.

I would also like to try some quail. I hear they are easier to raise and butcher than most domestic birds. True or wishful thinking? @RUNuts can you point to any specific threads or articles in the quail section that are especially helpful?
They’re easier to raise and friendlier. Mine are 16 weeks old in the breeding aviary and they’re like tiny puppies. They are so loving even the males. I don’t think male quails attack like a rooster in a flock if they feel threatened. I prefer quail over chickens and everyone knows how much I love my chickens... I have been breeding crosses for 5+ years. When I say love, I mean I have an amazing eye on what to cross and when I cross them it’s complete eye candy 🍭

14 butchered. 12 in the freezer and 2 heading for supper.

Easier? Maybe? Different, yes. Figure 6-8 ounce carcass weights. Do you want to mess with such tiny things? 8 weeks to maturity and butcher. If you like hatching, you can hatch a lot. Keep a net handy. Useful for the escapes that rocket past your head.

They must be caged. Does this offend you? Caged means higher density and a poop management system. Because of this, I'm leaning towards meat chickens and a few quail for eggs. My choice. The chickens in the yard are less time consuming to poop manage, feed and water. They are neat little things and tasty. Family prefers chickens for dinner.

I let the chickens under the quail cages and they clean up the spilled feed and stir the quail poop into the shredded wood chips to keep the flies down. I scoop all this into a compost pile a couple of times a year. I have boxes of wood chips for them to lay and escape from the wire. They spend their time on both. I do clean out the boxes of wood chips as needed. Few birds, once a month. Max density, a week. Poop happens.

Since I'm not sure what management style you'd prefer, I'd say start reading and see.
Big questions, cages inside the garage, barn or outbuilding or outside with weather protection? What type of weather protection?
Youtube channel Simply Redneck has the style of cages that I'm using from recycled lumber.
MyShire farms supplies eggs and information on the different color patterns.
Other youtubers show you their set ups.
I prefer the 2 foot deep cages so I can reach all parts. Simply Redneck uses 4 foot and has to stick his head and torso inside to reach the far side. Your choice.

Best wishes with what you decide. Since you are producing chickens, you may ask your FDA processor if they will process and inspect quail. Not sure how you'd market them in your state for sale to the general public.

I’ll go look today. I have successfully done about 6 hatches. Now I’m going to think out by looking at coloring and temperament. If they run with interaction, we put them in a crate then we weed those out by color. We have a whole system and so far my breeding aviary is getting along very well. Their offspring looks amazing too so I know my system works.
It sounds like you spend a lot of time interacting with your birds. I feed mine and watch them watching me. I put some in a chicken tractor and had to net them to get them out again. Several flew past me as I opened the lid. The dog helped retrieve those. :hmm A walk in, close the door behind you sounds like it would work better in my yard. Maybe one day I'll make a dog proof, cattle panel aviary and tractor.

Yes, butchering is easy. Since you skin chickens, these are easier. Snip the head, wings and feet off. Pull them out of the skin and eviscerate. I save the hearts for me. The gizzards were too small to mess with after the first time. Tasty, but time consuming. Dogs get the livers, gizzards, testes and feet.

Back
Top Bottom