MIchickenlady

Crowing
6 Years
Jul 10, 2017
Battle Creek, Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
Hello everyone,
We live in a small town in Michigan that does allow a maximum of 6 hens, but does not allow slaughter within village limits. The area around us is pretty agricultural though.
We got our 4 hens 1 year ago, and I need to have a plan for emergency situations, in case I sadly need to put a hen out of misery.
What should I do in this situation, since I can not cull on my own property? My only idea is to place a craigslist ad to find a couple of people willing to do this for me if I paid them in the event it becomes necessary?
I'm just trying to think ahead and be prepared. Thoughts?
Thanks!!

I would recommend also having a butchery in mind if there is one nearby. But if that is not the way you'd like the chicken to go, your idea should work fine.

I would go to state thread, and raise the question. Perhaps you can arrange a barter system, or perhaps you can get permission to process your birds (when need arises) in their back yard. If culling for medical reasons, the broomstick method (cervical dislocation) causes an instantaneous death, and if done correctly, there is no blood. Then, your means of disposing of the carcass is up to you. I would opt for a shovel, on a very dark night, preferably where you intend to plant a rose bush. Certainly your town does not have restrictions on digging holes on your property, amending the soil with organic materials and planting shrubbery.

I would recommend also having a butchery in mind if there is one nearby. But if that is not the way you'd like the chicken to go, your idea should work fine.

We do have some amish/mennonite folks not too far from us. They may be an option as well, I just need to make contact.
I'd never thought of a butcher. I do not intend to eat my pet chickens, just like I could never eat my dog. Someone else may, but I couldnt. I just dont want them to suffer and am wanting a plan for an emergancy.
Having chickens in town has specific challenges due to ordinance restrictions.
thanks for the thoughts.

How on earth would they be able to enforce a no slaughter rule? I mean it takes me less than 10 minutes to have a rotten rooster inside ready for the crock pot. If I was just putting a chicken out of it's misery it would be in a predug hole in less than 5 minutes. It would be one heck of a nosey neighbor to know what happened. I would say in a true emergency ignore unenforceable rules. The idea that you wouldn't be able to process food for your family if you wanted to makes me :mad::mad:. Government has no business making rules like that.

Agree with Lazy Gardener. I don't think humane euthanasia would fall under 'no slaughter' rules. They just don't want you sitting outside with 30 dead and bloody birds on your clothesline. Do you have a garage? Doing the deed in there is a good way to stay out of view.

How on earth would they be able to enforce a no slaughter rule? I mean it takes me less than 10 minutes to have a rotten rooster inside ready for the crock pot. If I was just putting a chicken out of it's misery it would be in a predug hole in less than 5 minutes. It would be one heck of a nosey neighbor to know what happened. I would say in a true emergency ignore unenforceable rules. The idea that you wouldn't be able to process food for your family if you wanted to makes me :mad::mad:. Government has no business making rules like that.
If you are talking about putting down a hen, I don't think that is the same thing as "slaughtering". I personally would do it myself and play dumb if caught. "Oh, I thought the law meant I couldn't process chickens on my property." and talk about how the poor bird was suffering and you couldn't find a vet to do the job today.

Back
Top Bottom