City Girl Goin Country intro

GoinCountry

Chirping
May 11, 2022
Hello.

I've had this forum bookmarked for some time, reading thru. We are signing the papers today on the new-to-us 3 acres with house. He grew up with animals/farming stuff, I did NOT.
I grew up fly fishing, foraging, tracking animals, shooting, cleaning all the above, but only on vacations. I am a healer thru various ways: herbs, flower essences and Jesus. I was self employed for years with an herbal skin care business, but I'm a city girl nonetheless. This place is 30 min from anything. [so they tell me, seems like it takes a lot longer]

I ordered 5 full grown chickens from a farm here in Virginia. We'll pick them up May 28. Full beak, red sex link chickens, 20 months old. There is no structure of any kind on this property other than the house. I'm told there are bobcats, cougars, possums, raccoons and the occasional bear. [city girl freak is at full alert]. There are so many firsts we have to do, and a coop is one of them.
We have to go 'catch and crate' the chickens. what do we put them in? small uhaul boxes? One each? They will free range when we get them.
Anyway, I'm very happy to be here and hope to share whatever I can.

Welcome to BYC!

There are a lot of great articles here on Chicken Coop designs and how to build/buy them. When you go to pick your new chooks up, you can put 1-2 in a box. Chickens travel better when it is dark so don't be concerned if you need to let light in. No need to put food/water in during travel too. Good luck and let us know if you any other questions!

Back
Top Bottom