Clavicillin question (sick hen)

Cristyloks

In the Brooder
May 20, 2024
Hi! My 3.5 yo barred rock hen started passing lash eggs a few weeks back and was just acting a bit off. I've been through this with another hen as she stopped laying eggs and she battled through it for a year before eventually passing. This time I decided to ask a vet. We do not have access to avian vets, but thankfully a vet in town has seen our chickens when needed and tries her best. She put my hen on Clavicillin, 125mg three times a day. I've noticed that my hen's appetite and demeanor has changed since being on the meds. I suspect it's upsetting her stomach but she's also done some heavy breathing at times, seems"out of it" and has little energy (not truly lethargic though and tail is perky typically.) Does this feel like an appropriate med for the situation? Do I need to worry she's having some kind of reaction or just stay the course with the med? They also prescribed her a dewormer just to be on the safe side (Panacur in pre-filled oral syringes) which we haven't started only because getting meds in her is a struggle (her name is Karen if that clarifies anything 😅) plus I worried about it affecting her appetite even more, but I'll admit I don't know what I'm doing 😅

Welcome To BYC

I'm sorry to hear your hen is not well.

Call or email your vet to address your concerns over the medication they prescribed and the symptoms you are seeing.

Medications can affect the appetite, so you may want to try a few different things to see if you can interest her in eating a little better. Try soaking her feed and offering it as a wet mash. Offer tidbits of egg, fish or meat. Small bits of fruit, melon or cucumber and tomato often are enticing as well.

This article may help you with giving oral meds:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

Back
Top Bottom