Cleaned up poopy butt now bloody HELP

gclarrot

Songster
Apr 21, 2020
I have an almost 1 year old EE when I bent down to pet I noticed she had some dropping’s stuck to her butt so in she went for a bath.

I trimmed all the feathers back affected and washed really well with soap. And it’s looks bruised/bloody.
I sprayed vetrycin on it and have her wrapped up in my arms drYing.

What should I do? No bugs I see but it’s definitely bloody/unwell

Attachments

• EF8E6229-E954-4BF4-B67B-F8207D6217E2.jpeg
    EF8E6229-E954-4BF4-B67B-F8207D6217E2.jpeg
    426.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 723AB242-6820-44EA-A7FD-C2A9D1405305.jpeg
    723AB242-6820-44EA-A7FD-C2A9D1405305.jpeg
    471.8 KB · Views: 9
The poo may pulled some feathers or there is some pecking action going on in the coop. Do you see any sign of mites?
From what I’ve seen what the internet says mites look like I don’t see them on the back of her neck or feet. I have black backyard sand snd coop sand so it wiped away with my hand what she did have a patch of.

I did let her down and two other hens went after her butt.

It’ was very rainy here for a few days - im in Florida and they were inside their run.

Did you thoroughly dry her before putting her back with the other birds?
Her wet feathers may have attracted attention.
Might be good to put her out but in a crate so they can't pick on her.
Yes, after I realized her slightly unfluffy butt was an attraction I put her back under the dryer then no one else came to her after that.

She’s always had some sort of degree of some poop stuck under her butt even as a pullet and I’ve been pretty quick to get it.

Yes, after I realized her slightly unfluffy butt was an attraction I put her back under the dryer then no one else came to her after that.

She’s always had some sort of degree of some poop stuck under her butt even as a pullet and I’ve been pretty quick to get it.
Are the poops loose and juicy or 'normal'?
Might want to trim the feathers back there so you don't have to bath her again.
Cut the poop laden feathers back to 1/4 to 1/2" from the skin.

I trimmed them down all the way.
Her droppings are normal. She's always had an extra fluffy butt and seems to every other couple of months has some droppings in them and they typically wipe away pretty easily with a towel.
They did have a few says inside the run (3 to be exact) due to rain.
Someone recommended I put vaseline on the area and I did that.

Back
Top Bottom