Cleaning a quail cage?

The cage wire is pretty widely spread. Just google Vinyl Coated or PVC coated or Coated Wire.......sometimes there are rolls on ebay...but let me warn you it can be costly. But to me it is worth it. My cages are going to be 1 x .5" galv. wire on the sides and top and 1 x .5" coated wire on the bottom. With sloped floors so eggs roll to the front of the cage. Coturnix are pooping machines and I doubt you want to be cleaning out a cage of shavings 1-2 a week. Not to mention the cost.
smile.png

I have about 50 coturnix in an open ground aviary that is 10ft by 20ft. There are a couple bushes and grass but I am wondering how to keep it clean. I want to keep taller grass in there for shade and hiding spots so turning up the dirt isn't really an option. Any suggestions as to how to keep it clean or should I just go with sand so I can scoop up poo?

Does anybody know how often you should clean a pharaoh coturnix quail pen on sand? Some people say monthly, others say every 3-5 months! What is correct? We would only have about 4-8 pharaoh coturnix quail for egg purposes. We haven't had this particular species, so I'm not sure how often to clean. Thank you all in advance!

I'd say it depends on the size of the pen. I have buttons on sand, I clean their cages every 3 weeks or so, when I think too little sand is visible between the poops :p But if the cage was larger, relative to the number of birds, it would of course take longer before the poop covered so much of the surface.

Mine have a plywood floor, on the bottom. I prefer it, and they can get feet stuck in wire..
I actually have the same problem.. How do I clean the bottom of it? sweep it all up and throw it away? just put more down...?

Back
Top Bottom