Cleaning broody hen?

Henora

Songster
Premium Feather Member
Jan 29, 2022
Ontario
Hi,

Two eggs broke in her nest today or yesterday afternoon and her breast feathers are sticky and stinky. I changed the nest material (actually moved her to a broody pen), but didn't clean the eggs. She's not wet but she's not clean. Should I try and wipe her feathers, legs and bill? If so, should I use more than just water? The eggs that broke were ones she had been brooding for 5 days or so. We're in Ontario so it got up to 68F today but it's relatively cool still at night in the 50s. I locked her in the broody box for the night in hopes that she'll settle on the new nest. I'm worried that she'll get sick from being dirty and just sitting rather than being out in the open air.

Thanks for any info and suggestions!

Attachments

• 20240510_184907.jpg
    20240510_184907.jpg
    427.2 KB · Views: 15
You can give her a warm bath and dry her well using clean towels and a blow dryer on low setting.

I would start a completely new clutch as she was on day 5 only and the gunk will kill most of the remaining eggs anyway.

One tip: When selecting the new eggs it is best to candle each of them pior to giving them to the broody to avoid cracked or very porous shells that later on can ruin the whole clutch when breaking.

You can give her a warm bath and dry her well using clean towels and a blow dryer on low setting.

I would start a completely new clutch as she was on day 5 only and the gunk will kill most of the remaining eggs anyway.

One tip: When selecting the new eggs it is best to candle each of them pior to giving them to the broody to avoid cracked or very porous shells that later on can ruin the whole clutch when breaking.
Thank you! I'm collecting the new eggs now, is it safe to let her sit on the old ones for the next few days while I collect? The eggs in her nest don't currently smell.

is it safe to let her sit on the old ones for the next few days while I collect? The eggs in her nest don't currently smell.
No, as she would get infested with the bacteria and be transferring it onto the new eggs.

After the bath you can give her some 4-5 hard-boiled eggs in a completely fresh nest to sit on while you are collecting fresh eggs for her

No, as she would get infested with the bacteria and be transferring it onto the new eggs.

After the bath you can give her some 4-5 hard-boiled eggs in a completely fresh nest to sit on while you are collecting fresh eggs for her

The eggs did indeed turn out to be contaminated (I dropped one when removing them and it was not friendly). Thank you for the warning and your advice!

Back
Top Bottom