Clear or opaque 5 gallon waterer bucket?

rick24

In the Brooder
Jun 14, 2020
I use 5 gallon buckets with screw on lids that i drill holes in for the red nipple wateres. I originally decided to use clear buckets so that it is easy to see the water level at a glance and I always know when it's time to refill. However, the buckets tend to grow algae annoyingly quickly since the water is exposed to some sunlight.

So it's a pain to clean the buckets every couple of months, but on the other hand, if I switch to opaque buckets, I'll have to go in the coop/run and open the tops in order to see the water level.

What do you guys think? Does anyone have a low maintenance watering method that both prevents algae and lets you know at a glance when it's time to add water?

Thanks in advance for any bright ideas!

Opaque for sure for me, plus I keep it in a fairly shady area. Zero algae growth in my climate, and I've actually never cleaned it other than a rinse out with a hose in the 4 yrs I've had it.

After the years, and trying every contraption known to chicken,I ran a water line to the feed area and I fill galvanized steel waters everyday - when I let them out in the morning because my multitude of automatic doors have failed 🤣

I have found that the more times i HAVE to interact with the flock, and get eyes on their stuff, the more issues I catch sooner and overall, how much better I feel because, well - a flock of chickens just does that to people 😎

I use an orange HD bucket & a red TS bucket. Opaque or even white grow algae too quickly for me here even in the shade. I have an idea of how much they drink so I know when to fill them & I use 2 just in case...

Back
Top Bottom