Clicker training?

MyMiniFarm

In the Brooder
5 Years
Nov 22, 2014
Ok I never know how to start threads off:idunno so I'm just going to just jump into my question. How would I start clicker training? I have a 13 1/2 week old Belgian D'anvers pullet, she's very friendly and runs over whenever I come to the coop. I would like to try to clicker train her, I've watched some videos of chickens being able to identify shapes, colors, patterns etc. and do obstacle courses with a clicker. I think it would be fun to teach Matilda those kind of things. So here are my exact questions.

1. Does breed matter? In most of the videos they're just the layers that you would see in commercial farms.

2. How do I start to get her to make the connection between the target and click?

3. Is she too young?

4. What kinds of tricks have you seen chickens do?

Any help would be appreciated:D

Its never too young to start training with a bird. Chickens are intelligent and curious, and I heard somewhere clicker training was originally started with chickens.

Training chickens is similar to training parrots or dogs in how to use the clicker.

1: Dogs can all be taught, but some breeds are keener, others calmer, others lazy, others aggressive, others full of energy. Chickens are the same way. Some breeds are more out-going, others more flighty, others more docile, others more curious. All chickens are individuals, so breed shouldn't really matter.

2: Click and give a treat for a few training sessions over a few days. Then take the target. Hold it out. She should peck at it. As soon as she does click and give a treat. She will make the connection pretty soon.

3: She shouldn't be too young, though she may go through a phase when she reaches egg-laying time where she may be less friendly.

4: I've seen chickens learn to turn on lights, I've heard they can tap-dance, they can be taught to come when called, and I"m sure a ton of other things too!

I don't personally clicker train my chickens, but I have studied animal behavior and training a lot, so I hope this helps.
Best of luck!
smile.png

Thanks so much! I also have heard that clicker taining started with chickens. A tap dancing chicken?!:gig I'd love to see that!

Back
Top Bottom