Clipping wings

this girl chick

In the Brooder
Apr 16, 2017
My chicks are about 41/2-5 weeks old, starting to feather out nicely. Boy do they want to fly and use those wings!

Although the coop will have a run attached,f or when we're not home, I was planning to 'free' range', in a large fenced in area, about 36x24. My greenhouse and bees are also there.
I wasn't going to clip their wings, as I have several crab apple trees they can fly to if a predator got in.a and I read s'where if there's a fence, they likely won't fly over it......which I find a bit hard to believe (it's only a picket fence).
Curious what others have decided.
Also, my bees are surrounded by an electric fence.....do I need to put up a barrier or will the chix learn the clicking sound and not get zapped.

Most chickens won't fly up on a wire fence, but something more solid they often will. You may have to add some wire to the top of your picket fence if it becomes a problem.

I have never had any of my chickens fly up in my trees ever.

Most birds learn quick with electric fences.

Most chickens won't fly up on a wire fence, but something more solid they often will. You may have to add some wire to the top of your picket fence if it becomes a problem.

I have never had any of my chickens fly up in my trees ever.

Most birds learn quick with electric fences.

I used to have a telescoping fiberglass pole that was used by the electric co to reset breakers on telephone poles. I fixed a short piece of broom handle to the top of it and even though it was used on 28 foot tall electric lines there were still some hens and pullets who were beyond the reach of this pole.

You are lucky old hen who likes dogs

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom