Clippinga duck's wings

MallardDuckling

Songster
7 Years
Apr 29, 2012
Montgomery County, Ohio
I may be looking into this due to the fact that during the day I let my ducks free range. They have 2 clean ponds to hang out in, food, water, snacks, lots of bugs and a great tree to perch in.

However, they have discovered that they perfer my Mom's gazebo which, is material. My Mom is afraid they will rip it. Not to mention, one of them LOVES perching on the roof of my house.

So, I'm looking into wing clipping. I've heard about 2 options, one where it's permenant the other is where you have to do it when the feathers start to grow back.

Will wing clipping affect showing?

Does it matter the age when wing clipping?

What process is better?

How much does it cost?

I may be looking into this due to the fact that during the day I let my ducks free range. They have 2 clean ponds to hang out in, food, water, snacks, lots of bugs and a great tree to perch in.

However, they have discovered that they perfer my Mom's gazebo which, is material. My Mom is afraid they will rip it. Not to mention, one of them LOVES perching on the roof of my house.

So, I'm looking into wing clipping. I've heard about 2 options, one where it's permenant the other is where you have to do it when the feathers start to grow back. Wing Clipping is only temporary. The other method you are referring to is called pinioning. This should only be done on day olds if your doing it yourself. Adult birds should be left to do by a vet.

Will wing clipping affect showing? This varies by show. I don't think it would be a huge issue.

Does it matter the age when wing clipping? Actually wing clipping can be done fairly young. I clip wings once my Mallards realize they can fly very well which is usually around 14 weeks for me.

What process is better? For your situation Clipping wings is your only option unless you pay for a vet to pinion your birds which can be pricey.

How much does it cost? I clip my birds wings with a pair of scissors every couple weeks. I've never gone to a vet for this.

If you free range I would not advise clipping wings. This is leaves them even more vulnerable to predators and have no way of escaping if they can not fly.

I would strongly suggest you don't if you free range as Kevin 565 has said, I used to free range honestly had i had mine clipped i probably would have lost more birds. Free ranged birds need every piece of self preservation possible.

They free range, but usually are only out when someone else is out with them, or near by, so they can look out the window and watch.

We live in the city, hence why being on the roof isn't the best idea. I'd hate for them to get over the fence and a dog get them, or them wonder on the roof and instead of getting down in the backyard end up in the front and get hit by a car etc.

Back
Top Bottom