clogged duck nose???

yellwkat

In the Brooder
Apr 15, 2016
Merced, CA
one of my ducks was panting earlier today so I jumped on here to read what might be causing it; I read that it could be a clogged nose so I looked at its nose. It does look like there's gunk in ut but he won't dunk and flush it out. I can see straight through the other ducks nose but not this ones, should I pick it out?

You could try using a Q-tip and warm water first to see if you can manage to remove the worst of it.

CT

Put him in a bathtub of warm water and see if he can clear it himself. If that doesn't work turn on the shower so it rains on him and see if that helps. I wouldn't pick at it unless it really is clogged all the way through but I find that a warm steamy shower can clear up the worst stuffed up nose. :)

I agree with DucksandGardens - water the temperature of the brooder, no soap, time in the tub for 5 or ten minutes and then back to the brooder, and gently wiped dry with a washcloth.

awesome thank you so much. He's not panting anymore but I still can't see through his nose liks I can the other one. I'm a Veterinary Assistant so it's making me want to bring home some forceps and dig it out but I don't know how sensitive their sinus cavity is.

awesome thank you so much. He's not panting anymore but I still can't see through his nose liks I can the other one. I'm a Veterinary Assistant so it's making me want to bring home some forceps and dig it out but I don't know how sensitive their sinus cavity is.

It's sensitive . . . the best is to let the little one have frequent access to water deep enough to rinse his or her entire head in, to soften the material, and then their instincts to snoot the water through can get it out of there.

You will definately want to let the caked material soften with water before making any attempt to remove it. If it is stuck hard in the nostril like a plug you could do tissue damage trying to pry it loose. Encourage the duck to splash its bill in water as much as possible and it should soften up and work its way loose. You can gently wipe it with a warm wet swab to help loosen it but be gentle.

For nare clogs, I think if they are softened with water for a while, then the bulb is used without stopping up the other nare, it ought to pull out what's soft enough to be pulled out.

'Cause we don't want to pull air out of the little's lungs.
th.gif

Back
Top Bottom