Close to laying? Maybe?

Crystal Chicken

Chirping
Mar 29, 2023
Ontario, Canada
First time chicken tender here, anyone want to guess how close my OE is to laying her first egg? I just noticed how red her comb was over the last couple of days. She is 18 weeks.
1000007544.jpg

So how does one judge if their chickens are close to laying? I've seen comb redness indicated maturity or impending maturity. Is that not accurate?
Comb redness is one factor, squatting, if the vent is wide and pink, it might be soon VS a small and yellow vent. Checking out the nesting area, increased vocalization and acting antsy.
Or they come right out of left field and surprise you. 😅

Comb redness is one factor, squatting, if the vent is wide and pink, it might be soon VS a small and yellow vent. Checking out the nesting area, increased vocalization and acting antsy.
Or they come right out of left field and surprise you. 😅
I haven't checked their vents and I haven't done the squat test in a while. Shes definitely super vocal. I haven't seen her check out the nesting boxes. I guess only time will tell 😒

I’m also new to chickens I’ve only had mine since March. I have 4 olive Eggers and have been getting green eggs for 2 weeks. The first one came at 19 weeks. I only get an olive egg every other day so I think only one of the four is currently laying. I have seen 3 of the four olive Eggers sit in the nest boxes and sing but only one has actually left an egg behind when she leaves the box. So I’m still waiting on the other 3

Back
Top Bottom