Closed Eye for 2 week old chick

VegasBeginner

In the Brooder
Jun 8, 2020
Does anyone know what’s wrong with my baby chick? She’s about 2 weeks old and her eye has been swelling for the past 4 days. Her eye is very watery and I assume a ball of puss is building up underneath her eye. She keeps it closed for most of the day.

I’m worried it’s a similar complication that happened to one of my previous hens were she had a huge ball of puss covering both her eyes.
5C25D95C-A859-4CA8-ACD2-7A999FBC8FF1.jpeg
FB8269EC-8DD4-4357-A468-131DDB413AD8.jpeg

You can use warm, wet, compresses to loosen the gunk on the eye. Once you can get it open then you can see if there is any pus. If there is pus then flush it out as much as you can. Try not to get the chick wet and chilled. May take several sessions to get it cleaned up. I'd use the terramycin eye ointment, or plain neosporin in the eye 2 -3 times a day. It could just be a peck injury from another chick. Have you ever had any respiratory disease in your flock? If so then that would need to be considered also.

You can use warm, wet, compresses to loosen the gunk on the eye. Once you can get it open then you can see if there is any pus. If there is pus then flush it out as much as you can. Try not to get the chick wet and chilled. May take several sessions to get it cleaned up. I'd use the terramycin eye ointment, or plain neosporin in the eye 2 -3 times a day. It could just be a peck injury from another chick. Have you ever had any respiratory disease in your flock? If so then that would need to be
You can use warm, wet, compresses to loosen the gunk on the eye. Once you can get it open then you can see if there is any pus. If there is pus then flush it out as much as you can. Try not to get the chick wet and chilled. May take several sessions to get it cleaned up. I'd use the terramycin eye ointment, or plain neosporin in the eye 2 -3 times a day. It could just be a peck injury from another chick. Have you ever had any respiratory disease in your flock? If so then that would need to be considered also.
I was also thinking just a pecking injury from her sisters, but I’m a bit paranoid. I haven’t had any disease in the flock, everyone is healthy and seem well. Thank you for the advice

If it's a pecking injury, and it happens, chicks peck at anything and everything, then getting it cleaned up and using the ointment should take care of it.

Back
Top Bottom