Closing coop overnight in summer?

techiebabe

In the Brooder
Jan 20, 2016
London, UK
Hello! Quick query:

My five ex-batts are now very well adjusted and doing "hen" things. At night they trot into their coop & put themselves to bed. But with the summer dawn, they are awake at 4am tapping on the door to be let out. Sometimes one of us is up then, but more usually it'll be around 7am.

Their coop opens directly onto a fox proof & covered run, part of which has a sun shade, and their run is where their feeder & drinker are (among other things).

When should / can I leave the coop door open overnight?

I figure that in cold weather, they need it shut to avoid draughts. But in summer, will that matter so much? Plus, they might want to get out in a hurry to rehydrate if it's warm.

The coop is probably at maximum capacity (tho my hens seem to fit fine, and don't bully each other) whereas the run is spacious.
I haven't noticed any problems from making them wait til we get up, but would like to pre-empt any possible issues. We've only had them for 2 months so it hasn't been warm before.

Automatic opener is not an option as the pop hole slides sideways, not up, and there isn't any room between coop and run entrance.

Advice welcome! Thanks!

As others have said - just be very sure that your run is truly secure - including wired roof. We use homemade auto doors here on two of our coops, but I still will leave their pop door open on the hottest evenings just for a bit more air movement. Get in the habit of examining the run weekly to make sure all is in order. I do keep water inside my housings, because I have a fear of something happening where they don't get let out, and them not having water. Would a small bowl fit inside??

Thanks for the replies! That sounds good, I was worried about the draft if I left it open, but it sounds like that's not an issue (at least in summer).

Yes, I'm sure the run is secure, my builder who created it told me I could keep Tigers in there... And he was right! It is, let's say, over engineered :)

Hello! Quick query:

My five ex-batts are now very well adjusted and doing "hen" things. At night they trot into their coop & put themselves to bed. But with the summer dawn, they are awake at 4am tapping on the door to be let out. Sometimes one of us is up then, but more usually it'll be around 7am.

Their coop opens directly onto a fox proof & covered run, part of which has a sun shade, and their run is where their feeder & drinker are (among other things).

When should / can I leave the coop door open overnight?

Advice welcome! Thanks!

If you have predators that can/might access your flock, you are taking a huge risk leaving to coop open at night. Locking the birds up at night is a primary defense against predators devastating your flock at night.

As long as your coop opens into a secure run, you are right there is no reason to close it. Just be sure your run is secure, digging animals are a danger too!

same here

i didn't create the door for my coop either (probably have to for the winter.. but for now it will help with ventilation in 100's degree heat

if you live in the city with the neighbor only 20-30 ft away.. beside dogs and cats .. you don't really have to worry about other predators

Quote: I agree if the run is secure there is no reason to keep them out of it. The batt girls are probably so joyful to be out of the batt that they want all the access to earth they can ever have. I had my guinea keets on hay in a dog crate for their first 2 weeks and their joy in their new space is quite evident, enjoying the grass and earth.

However I must disagree about predators in the city. I've had skunks, raccoons, and possums in the cities I've lived in, even with very close neighbors, in very different areas of the country. The raccoons were not afraid of our cats and just go around yards with dogs. We had to have Fort Knox style coop design.On the occasion of forgetting to close the pop door, dead chickens would result. I love auto-pop-doors, they are my friend!

--V

I agree if the run is secure there is no reason to keep them out of it. The batt girls are probably so joyful to be out of the batt that they want all the access to earth they can ever have. I had my guinea keets on hay in a dog crate for their first 2 weeks and their joy in their new space is quite evident, enjoying the grass and earth.

However I must disagree about predators in the city. I've had skunks, raccoons, and possums in the cities I've lived in, even with very close neighbors, in very different areas of the country. The raccoons were not afraid of our cats and just go around yards with dogs. We had to have Fort Knox style coop design.On the occasion of forgetting to close the pop door, dead chickens would result. I love auto-pop-doors, they are my friend!

--V

it will depend on where you live

one size doesn't fit all

i went overboard because of the tips on predators when raising chickens.. but it was not needed for my area..

but better safe than sorry-- so do what you think is best for your chickens

Back
Top Bottom