Co-Dominant Chicken Genes?

CaramelKittey

Crowing
Feb 15, 2019
New Jersey
Hi all! I'm working on a chicken genetic project and have examples of Dominant/Recessive genes (Black & Lavender), incomplete dominant genes (BBS) but cannot for the life of me find any examples of co dominant genes. All of the examples I've found for chickens I know are wrong (Black X White = speckled 🙄) and was wondering if the awesome community on BYC knew of any. I could always use the example of human blood type but I'd rather do one for chickens.

I did find an old thread (2009) on BYC saying that heterozygous henny feathering was an example of co-dominance. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/is-blue-incomplete-dominant-or-codominant.176205/
Are there any others?

Thank you so much in advance!

I'm working on a chicken genetic project and have examples of Dominant/Recessive genes (Black & Lavender), incomplete dominant genes (BBS) but cannot for the life of me find any examples of co dominant genes. All of the examples I've found for chickens I know are wrong (Black X White = speckled 🙄)

I'm having trouble thinking of any, and I'm not spotting any when I look through a list of known genes, either.

Some of the e-locus alleles are incompletely dominant over each other, but I don't think any of them would count as co-dominant (I had to look up the difference to be sure I've got them right.)

But the "Black X White = speckled" might actually work.

Dominant White changes black to white. Two copies of Dominant White make a white chicken. But one copy of Dominant White allows some black to show through, so the chicken can look "speckled." Sometimes that color is called Paint.

I think it DOES meet the definition of co-dominant that I was able to find. I/I is white, i/i is black, I/i has both white and black present in spots or patches. [I or i is customarily used to represent Dominant White or the lack of it, although I don't know why that letter was chosen.]

I'm having trouble thinking of any, and I'm not spotting any when I look through a list of known genes, either.

Some of the e-locus alleles are incompletely dominant over each other, but I don't think any of them would count as co-dominant (I had to look up the difference to be sure I've got them right.)

But the "Black X White = speckled" might actually work.

Dominant White changes black to white. Two copies of Dominant White make a white chicken. But one copy of Dominant White allows some black to show through, so the chicken can look "speckled." Sometimes that color is called Paint.

I think it DOES meet the definition of co-dominant that I was able to find. I/I is white, i/i is black, I/i has both white and black present in spots or patches. [I or i is customarily used to represent Dominant White or the lack of it, although I don't know why that letter was chosen.]
I asked on a Facebook group and somebody brought up Paint, duh! lol
Really have no clue how I missed that one, but thank you for bringing it up here for anybody else interested!

Back
Top Bottom