Status
Not open for further replies.
This post very clearly demonstrates your role. The OP did do good to alert public of potential issues. I saw to it the party in question was aware of the concern that until yesterday evening was likely not being effectively conveyed. The public in this case appears to be those seeing and responding to this thread. The museum engaged and clarified their purpose giving clear indication they are aware of problems and are investing effort to fix them.

@MissChick@dee your role was to inflame. The chickens in this instance did not benefit from your actions or statements.

@HensSweetHens,

I suggest you focus on future issues rather than dwell on past. Your intent to promote well being of the birds is being realized. If you see problems in the future, then bring them up so they can be corrected.

In another thread, let us see your birds emphasizing how they are cared for and how they brighten your day.

Sir, I don't want to anger you... and again, I appreciate your advice...but I feel like you were upset and tired of this thread that day when you sent the email to the Museum... The reality is that the problem is continuing, it's not "past" yet. "Why?" you might ask...because if the coop overseers are still saying "none of our chickens are sick" - they are not seeing the problem. It's easy to say and even believe "there is nothing wrong", if one refuses to stop for a moment and look closely, because their ego is in the way. That's what I've heard from other volunteers too, who are members and supporters of the Museum, but whose opinions are being ignored still (it's not just me, please understand).

To be honest I would've preferred if the email was sent by me or a volunteer from the museum (those who I know). The museum people would have seen it as an act in good faith, and now...such an email (with actually some good suggestions) is useless. With all due respect, sir, you did not see what I or others saw happening with the birds at the coop over the last year, and the pictures posted by the museum yesterday don't tell much of the birds' health, at all. I am fairly certain that because the museum people have now seen this thread, they more likely are "inflamed" and bitter towards me or others involved, who really want to help.

Last edited:
Sir, I don't want to anger you... but I feel like you were upset and tired of this thread that day when you sent the email to the Museum... The reality is that the problem is continuing, it's not "past" yet. "Why?" you might ask...because if the coop overseers are still saying "none of our chickens are sick" - they are not seeing the problem. It's easy to say and even believe "there is nothing wrong", if one refuses to stop for a moment and look closely, because their ego is in the way. That's what I've heard from other volunteers too, who are members and supporters of the Museum, but whose opinions are being ignored still (it's not just me, please understand).

To be honest I would've preferred if the email was sent by me or a volunteer from the museum (those who I know). The museum people would have seen it as an act in good faith, and now...such an email (with actually some good suggestions) is useless. With all due respect, sir, you did not see what I or others saw happen to the birds at the coop over the last year, and the pictures posted by the museum yesterday don't tell much of the birds' health, at all. I am fairly certain that because the museum people have now seen this thread, they more likely are "inflamed" and bitter towards me or others involved, who really want to help.

If the conditions do not improve, seek help from a local animal welfare group or your humane society. I’m sure that there are veterinary records if they are working with a vet. If the situation is as dire as you feel it is, your local humane society can seize the animals and take them to court and barr them from getting them again in the future.

If you didn’t want someone to take action on the chicken behalf, then you should not have been so free with the details of the group. IF centrachid was so upset by or sick of the post there’s always the un-watch thread option and reporting the post if he feels it’s inappropriate.

I am tougher than that. Well being of birds and educating public are high on my list of concerns. Sometimes when I see someone trying to do something without using sound approach, I step in to get it done. Bringing this out into a public forum is good. It makes clearer to public what criteria with respect animal care are used and even shows how someone might work to effect changes.

I am tougher than that. Well being of birds and educating public are high on my list of concerns. Sometimes when I see someone trying to do something without using sound approach, I step in to get it done. Bringing this out into a public forum is good. It makes clearer to public what criteria with respect animal care are used and even shows how someone might work to effect changes.

Yes, I think it's good to ask advice too! I've been getting so much good guidance from caring people here on BYC over the years, I've saved my bird (prolapsed vent) because of this amazing resource and kindness of people. So, I agree, getting some things to an open discussion is a great thing, that is why I did it! (This discussion can also be helpful to others in future.) I've learned something from each of the participants here and I try to understand every viewpoint, and throw my pride away while I do that. I am not a vicious person, and I am not angry at the museum people (if I were, I think it would've come out by now).
I think when people overcome misunderstandings and strive to better the situation, such a change is brought about by openness, friendship, and trust. Then, new values and good learning take roots (on both sides). Now, I fear that if any changes will be seen they'll be "forced" upon the museum people, and might be short-lived because they keep hearing complaints. But even if so, I'll be super thankful.
But I do agree with you... that's why so many post here - in hopes of finding logic and guidance, and in hopes of not getting completely squashed by harsh comments, giving up altogether on trying to stand up to injustice.

Last edited:
Like the Golden Museum and Park, I do displays involving chickens. My displays are on properties that are not ours and provide us a very different set of challenges relative to the museum. The number of contacts are likely a lot less than the museum's, but I still engage well into the thousands of youth and adults. Most of the events are at fairs and schools, but sometimes non-profit venues are involved as well. Another party, sometimes two, from my institution will have poultry displays as well. We are all within an agriculture department. The others focus on the classical chickens "are meat and eggs" or "ornamentals". Being a zoologist by training and needing to fit in, my angle involves chicken behavior and morphology. The other parties while on site keep their birds in pens and often do not allow contact with birds. My approach is very different. The chickens are more often than not running loose among the crowd and I do encourage contact between patrons and my chickens. We even explore poop and mating when they are encountered. My chickens are tamed and trained. They demonstrate some level of flying ability as they mill about.

See link below get an idea of what goes on.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/ambassadors-for-the-farm.407880/#post-4947275

At most events I see at least one patron express concern about how the birds are being treated. Sometimes the concern is the birds are being penned up, which I usually hear first hand. What is often directed at me, although usually not where I can hear it, is that the birds are dangerous because of roosters and should not be out. My spiel goes describing why some behaviors are maintained that come down from the wild jungle fowls from which chickens are derived. Roosters are a big part of that. The parties expressing the concerns are not as individuals go at it both ways. Some have one set of opinions and others have another set of opinions. That is part of my earlier statement "reasonable" with respect to assessments of how the poultry are managed. Not everyone agrees, even when you have parties that assert they are all about the welfare of the birds. The fun is that it is those relatively rare individuals that present the biggest challenge to our outreach efforts. It is particularly problematic when the party has a leadership role with kids where the teaching moment is in the hands of the disapproving patron.

Not enough sleep for proper wordsmithing.

This post very clearly demonstrates your role. The OP did do good to alert public of potential issues. I saw to it the party in question was aware of the concern that until yesterday evening was likely not being effectively conveyed. The public in this case appears to be those seeing and responding to this thread. The museum engaged and clarified their purpose giving clear indication they are aware of problems and are investing effort to fix them.

@MissChick@dee your role was to inflame. The chickens in this instance did not benefit from your actions or statements.
I’m sorry you feel that way.
Someone IN the situation needs to be empowered with options and resources. Your inflamed because I disagree with you. The situation is what it is. I would much rather have someone learn to problem solve. Foresight is learned from experiences.
Has the OP learn something’s thus far? I would say yes. My philosophy is if someone comes to me for help I’ll get shoulder to shoulder to help them solve the problem. Not step in and do what I feel is best without talking/asking first.
To me that’s the difference. We’re not there. We can’t see what truly is going on. I cannot say with certainty.
Has the museum been given a heads up? Most definitely.
Is the situation as it’s been protrayed? We cannot know we are not there.
What I do know is there are organizations fully equipped to investigate and prepared to take action if needed. They are real live people who can effectively help the situation...if needed.
I cannot dust of my hands and say “there it’s fixed”.
Have I inflamed the OP? Nope she can speak for herself. Funny how now it’s all about how you’ve been wronged. If there is a passion in the heart of the OP to do the right thing then the lesson’s she’ll learn might change her approach next time. Looking at the big picture takes experience. Im sure this is just one lesson that has taught her a lot. I’m sure the reactions she received here really gave her pause and caused her to reflect. If things don’t get done my way I don’t get offended. I’m not wired to be a bull in a China Shop. So you honestly cannot say the chickens didn’t benefit. How would you know? @centrarchid you make me so thankful for the people in my life.

Lets give the museum a chance to work on the situation? Four or five days is not adequate time for any lasting changes or to eliminate a rodent issue. And I’m sorry but there is a clear bias against the museum from the OP, look at the tags... “animal neglect” “uncaring chicken keepers” “intentional animal neglect” these are accusatory and almost defamation. If someone tagged me with these terms I would be very likely to respond less well to their concerns.

Addressing the organization in a respectful mature manner as @centrarchid did was clearly effective. I still don’t think a public forum is an appropriate place to make defamatory and accusing statements about a specific organization, or that this is the best way to help the chickens if that is the primary concern. Just because it did work in this instance doesn’t mean it’s the proper way to address the problem.

Lets give the museum a chance to work on the situation? Four or five days is not adequate time for any lasting changes or to eliminate a rodent issue. And I’m sorry but there is a clear bias against the museum from the OP, look at the tags... “animal neglect” “uncaring chicken keepers” “intentional animal neglect” these are accusatory and almost defamation. If someone tagged me with these terms I would be very likely to respond less well to their concerns.

Addressing the organization in a respectful mature manner as @centrarchid did was clearly effective. I still don’t think a public forum is an appropriate place to make defamatory and accusing statements about a specific organization, or that this is the best way to help the chickens if that is the primary concern. Just because it did work in this instance doesn’t mean it’s the proper way to address the problem.
I agree, there is certainly an attitude of ulterior motive and attempt to slander the park, right from the original post. I have had a difficult time taking the allegations the OP set forth seriously because of it. I don't feel that the motives are to help these birds-- sorry.

In any case, I am glad that the museum staff have been alerted to this and that the quality of care is proper, as that is all the OP supposedly wanted from the get go!

I for one, am pretty comfortable that the museum has been alerted to the problem and seems to be working to resolve it. If things backslide after the hoorah has died down remains to be seen. Kudos to the OP for wanting to address the issues, and be concerned about the chickens welfare. Frankly, I believe her that there were problems. I am happy that the museum is working with a vet, and will continue to monitor the hens. I do think that bringing them on board to this forum, may help even further (if they choose) to educate them on some of the concerns that the OP has. Maybe a win for the chickens, even if all of the posters may not be happy. :fl that the rodents will be reduced or eliminated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom