Status
Not open for further replies.
Having a hard time imagining that the dust baths getting wet constitutes some sort of animal abuse or neglect.
When the birds are confined in larger groups, my preference is to have so birds have more or less continuous access to dust bathing options. Birds housed singly are much less prone to many health issues that dust bathing helps prevent.

That's a very good question. I have considered that I might transfer some of the diseases/illnesses to my own flock. But I am also very careful and disinfect as much as I can, even taking a shower + changing clothes before or after going/coming to the Golden coop. I just really care for those chickens, and after what I saw 1.5 years back in that coop, I sort of committed to bringing them vegetables (but I don't spend hours there when I go..who has that kind of time.) There is more that I could tell form what I saw, but I don't want to endanger individuals who were there, because they are not sure they want to get into all of this esp. in their age. - it's out of respect for them.

Also, things that I've dealt with were mostly non-infectious and were in the beginning years of having our flock. (I had a very rough start:hmm) so, thankfully the last about 3 years were disease free!!! :bow except my sudden loss of a chicken - she went super fast because of a weird bump on her comb and swelling of her head. That stuff didn't effect my other hens.
The chickens in the Golden coop don't have scaly leg mites (which is very infectious). We just adopted two precious birds from our neighbors - they are about 6 months old. I've been treating them every day for the past two months with natural remedies - it's gone now!!! Little victories!
As far as bio security for my own chickens I have a few. They are not perhaps absolutely everything that's is possible to implement in a flock, but they've worked for me. I'll be happy to share more in a bit. Need to run for now. Thanks so much for your post!
You mentioned respiratory problems in your own flock. You don't feel that this could have come from the park at all? Respiratory diseases are highly contagious. The same could go both ways also, perhaps the problems you have experienced in your own flock have been spread to the park's chickens.

What gets me the most, is these preventative measures being spoken about aren't helping out the poster's own chickens, based on reading the posts.

After my first little flock of 4 died (Mareeks), we've been adopting hens, and some came with issues already. As you know, fleas and intestinal parasites come every now and then (i de worm them twice a year and get rid of occasional fleas no problem with newcomers) I always quarantine new members of the family for two weeks.

The oldest of my adopted birds are 7+ years old now, all doing fine :)

You mentioned respiratory problems in your own flock. You don't feel that this could have come from the park at all? Respiratory diseases are highly contagious. The same could go both ways also, perhaps the problems you have experienced in your own flock have been spread to the park's chickens.

In my original post, I mentioned one chicken having the respiratory issues in the Golden Coop. Others seem alright. She might be having sinusitis or something non-infectious, but her cough sound bad sometimes - this also has been going on for more than a year now.

Gotta run for now. Thank you all for your input.

Last edited:
From reviewing their website, the park and museum appear to be a 501(c)(3) organization that is heavily funded by the city and other donors. I'm going to be brutally honest here, so please don't think I'm mean or being negative. There are some facts of life that are unpleasant.

First, it is much easier to affect change from the inside rather than the outside of an organization. Becoming a member of GHM would give you a voice to their advisory board. Another approach would be to become a voice to their major sponsors. You are not going to influence the city, but might be able to sway some of their other sponsors.

Your bridge is already burnt. You are the crazy chicken lady and your opinions for husbandry may or may not match up with the educational goals of the establishment.

Feed: Feed is like religion. I'd love to see them replace scratch with a formulated feed, but in the end it's a money maker. They could easily replace scratch with pellets. I see so many folks out here who don't understand limits. I never intended to learn feed, but was force to and there is such a thing as too much good.

That's exactly what I feel like I'm up against. I understand that for them I am a nobody, and may become a liability. Then what is a way to go about this situation?

Since my post, you've gotten plenty more option, suggestions, opinions.

First, you have a friend volunteer there now. You might be able to get her to help institute some change or provide some education, or make valid suggestions. Like another previous poster, you are unlikely to be able to get a volunteer post since the staff may have possibly tagged you as "crazy chicken lady" - remember, it is unlikely that any other adult person from the general public is coming to see the chickens on a regular basis, sitting outside the fence scratching their heads/talking to them, bringing them produce for their health, and complaining about their ill-treatment.

To turn this around on you (for the sake of example) a friend comes over bringing an acquaintance and they visit your lovingly cared for birds...but, alas, they have some lice at the moment, one is coughing, and another elderly chicken isn't walking so well. You care for your chickens and are addressing the lice, the cough is new so you haven't quarantined yet, and the elderly chicken has been much loved, but at an old age, is declining. But, too bad, this acquaintance is horrified - so many examples of poor management! You come to find out that this acquaintance took a few pics while you and your actual friend were chatting about chickens (and didn't notice the pictures being taken) and then later posts something on social media, with pics that tell HER side of the story. You are hurt and indignant as you are someone who really cares for your chickens, but it is out there on social media, with pics for proof.

Of course, these Golden Coop chickens are a bit different, you've been going there for a long time, you've tried to effect change in your own way. But you hit many buttons all at the same time, without waiting for a response from the first button pushed (asking questions of the staff, maybe?, or talking with your volunteer friend to gather pertinent info, maybe?). You do run the risk of them just shutting down the chicken area, which would be sad as it is intended to be educational and I'm sure you've seen the positive reaction from adults and kids alike while you've been sitting there. In one city we lived in, the park system had a "farm" for educational purposes. They had chickens running around the area every day, with others in the fenced in run area. Other animals and even crops being grown. Wow! the kids loved seeing the chickens being chickens, the little kids wanted to touch them! The adults and parents were humored by their young children trying to catch them (which would never happen). There were plenty of staff to supervise even the outdoor areas, so the animals were not being harassed. Attached is a pic of a 22month old child (birthday party attendee at my kid's 2nd birthday party) - he was singularly fascinated with the chickens! But, everyone had a positive reaction to the chickens whenever we were at this park over the years.
Screen Shot 2018-12-30 at 9.47.00 AM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom